Protector Square foot coverage

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I am looking at some different protectors.

Some product specs list one rtu gallon will treat 200 square feet, where some others claim 800-1200 square feet per rtu gallon.

Does this simply mean some are concentrated enough to be effective when applied lightly where others should be applied heavier??

Any benefit to one over the other?

Do you find these recommendations to be realistic, or consider it partly marketing :bullshit:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Frank;

It is mainly about dilution of the raw material.

With water-based fluorochemicals, you can find anything from RTU to 20-1 dilution.

Higher concentrations generally have lower costs per sq.ft.

Solvent-based fluorochemicals provide better water and oil repellency at similar costs per sq. ft.

Different types of fluorochemicals are on the market now.

Some do work better than others.

Larry

steve_64

can depend on whether the carpet is wet or dry also.

rtu dilutions can change.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The most popular protectors are fluorochemicals. The govt is in the process of regulating the older C8 formulas out of existence for health and environmental concerns. Most are now C6 formulations with no health or environmental issues. Scotchgard has gone to a C4 formula. Our testing and some other labs have found this to be less effective at resisting oil and water.

Maxim Advanced is one of the few protectors that includes acid dye resistors to add a second type of protection, fluoroprotector plus resistance to artificial coloring and dyes.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like the penetration of solvents but never the potential liability of using them in a home. We will use solvent based protectors on upholstery here in the shop but try not to use it on location if we can avoid it. We've not used solvents on carpet for many decades.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I like the penetration of solvents but never the potential liability of using them in a home. We will use solvent based protectors on upholstery here in the shop but try not to use it on location if we can avoid it. We've not used solvents on carpet for many decades.

The better penetration is a side benefit.

Fluorochemicals in solvent solutions provide better oil and water protection.

We sell many drums of Ultraseal for use on carpet.

The odor has been reduced several times,

to the point where it can be sprayed effectively.

Larry

Name
Shawn Forsythe
It's not the "odor" of HC solvents that damage you, but the airborne hydrocarbon solvent that you breathe in. Frankly, I'd rather have an odor that warns me, rather than one I can't detect and lets me know when I have safely moved away.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hopefully those guys buying it by the drum aren't spraying it in occupied homes. Waterbase is a lot safer and you won't have clients calling for a msds sheet.

Plus is there really a problem with water or oil based spills. Most homeowners are going to want acid dye protection. Those are the spills that most will assume carpet protectors offer protection from.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
No solvent based protectors in clients here either.

Unhealthy to home occupant and to the person that applies them. They also take a while to evaporate completely.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ofer;

The fluorochemical is the component that you should not breathe (solvent or water-based).

Good practice is to use a long spray wand that sprays the protector about 16" above the carpet.

California did some extensive testing on OMS exposure from upholstery cleaning.

They found that it did not reach OSHA limits from dry cleaning with far more solvent being used.

Safer solvents for people are available today,

and they evaporate quicker than water-based fluorochemicals.

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: ruff

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree Larry, we buy longer lances and use bigger jets but most of all we train the techs to get their spray low so as not to atomize any product into the air.

We don't dryclean upholstery on site either. OMS doesn't smell that bad but since the piece has to be out of use until it completely evaporates, we bring it into the shop when it can't be wet cleaned.

Mikey P

Administrator
So a lady wants one wing back chair to be cleaned...

How much are you going to charge here to clean and pick up and deliver it?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So a lady wants one wing back chair to be cleaned...

How much are you going to charge here to clean and pick up and deliver it?
Dryclean? Dryclean really doesn't do much more than pickup soil. HWE? If for some reason (potential bleeder or browner) we can't clean it on location, $75.00 for the chair and $35.00 pickup & delivery. It's not a money maker, especially at a onesy twosey.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks Larry I do appreciate your knowledge and explanations.

However, here's the general idea:
In the process of cleaning and removing soil from their carpeting- The less solvents or generally chemicals of any kind are introduced into the clients home, the better.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with you Ofer. In the old days it wasn't the issue it is now. The last thing I'd want to do is use OMS as a carrier when water is a much safer option. They must not have chemophopic people in Texas, we sure have them here. The least footprint we are responsible for the better. :errf:

I'm sure its a great product but just not for our clients.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
This could be the way to go..

Water based, covers 800 to 1200 ft, very low shipping costs and bunny friendly.

Mikey;

No product with fluorochemical is "bunny friendly".

It makes no difference whether it is water-based or solvent-based.

In fact, due to emulsifiers,

there is more chemicals left in the residence with water-based protectors.

Larry

P.S. Since you use our solvent-based fluorochemicals . . .
how would you describe the odor level ?

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Sort of a cotton candy-ish scent. Not so much the scent but the mouf full of solvent being the issue

nowhere near as intrusive as the Fruit Slice Cologne you and Ray wear when trying to impress Vegas hookers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom