Protectors

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Ive been using a pump up sprayer for carpet and a trigger sprayer for fabrics. What is the best method/equipment for applying protectors to both carpet and upholstery? Also what are the advantages of a solvent based protector? Do they last longer then water based?

totalsolution

I do the same as you and it works, so I'm not changing. As far as solvent based, I've never used it. In the IICRC class they said to never use it for residential. I push the protector every time. It makes a difference in my bottom line.

GRHeacock

An electric sprayer, of the Warner or Black and Decker type is better for upholstery, in my opinion, because it is steady in it's output. A trigger sprayer is very uneven.

You want an even- LIGHT coat on upholstery. It is very easy to get too much in one place, and not enough in other areas.

Besides- an electric sprayer looks more professional.

Gary

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
GRHeacock said:
Besides- an electric sprayer looks more professional.

Gary

I agree. I went a while back to pick up a new furniture set for my sister. After we got it loaded up the guy says, oh yeah she bought scotchgard too. He went inside and grabbed a squirt bottle (presumably with scotchgard in it) and proceeded to squirt the couch and loveseat. My sister paid like $50 for this. He used about half of a 32 oz squirt bottle of diluted product. I could have smacked my sister upside the head for paying them for the protector when she has a carpet cleaner for a brother.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
tman7;

Solvent-based fluorochemicals provide superior water & oil repellency.

You do have to avoid breathing the atomized particles of all fluorochemicals (water or solvent based).

Use a long extension, low pressure (30 PSI) and wear an organic vapor mask.

Larry Cobb

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Gary are you talking about one of these?

41PEFG814WL._AA280_.jpg

Or one of these?

4163WY3GJSL._AA280_.jpg

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
tman7 said:
Also what are the advantages of a solvent based protector? Do they last longer then water based?

Solvent is only the carrier. The protector is what is left behind after the solvent has evaporated. There is no inherent difference in the level of protection between a solvent based protector and a water carried protector.

Solvents MAY spread more evenly, but that is not always the case.

Depending on the particular solvent used as the carrier, it may flash off quickly. This leaves the top of the fibers with a strong protection (looks good for beading) but leaves little protector on the rest of the tufts.

Solvents will dry quicker than water carried products. Using less water may be important when treating cotton, linen or other fine fabrics.

Solvents have health and safety issues that water carried protectors do not. Flammability and breathing the vapors and pollution of the air.

If using solvents, apply them in an unoccupied area. Use a respirator. Use plenty of ventilation. These precautions can also be beneficial when spraying any protector.

Scott Warrington

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
t-man I just bought 4 of those sprayers on the second pic for $60.00 total at Lowes tonight

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Talking of bottom lines..........................

With a solvent based product, you apply neat.

With water based, it is diluted down.

What is your profit margin using solvent compared to water based at a ready to use dilution ??

Health wise, I do prefer the water based protectors.

A lot of people object to wearing an organic vapour mask in a house.

I usually counteract any questions by pointing out that I am applying this product day in/day out, and would use a filtered mask with any solution that I handle regularly.

Whereas the home owner is not in direct contact with the product as I am, so these precautions would not b required.

Ooroo :roll:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
scottw said:
tman7 said:
Also what are the advantages of a solvent based protector? Do they last longer then water based?

Solvent is only the carrier. The protector is what is left behind after the solvent has evaporated. There is no inherent difference in the level of protection between a solvent based protector and a water carried protector.

Solvents MAY spread more evenly, but that is not always the case.

Depending on the particular solvent used as the carrier, it may flash off quickly. This leaves the top of the fibers with a strong protection (looks good for beading) but leaves little protector on the rest of the tufts.

Solvents will dry quicker than water carried products. Using less water may be important when treating cotton, linen or other fine fabrics.

Solvents have health and safety issues that water carried protectors do not. Flammability and breathing the vapors and pollution of the air.

If using solvents, apply them in an unoccupied area. Use a respirator. Use plenty of ventilation. These precautions can also be beneficial when spraying any protector.

Scott Warrington

Bravo Scott!
This is the first time I've heard the truth from the sell side of the fense.
Any comments Larry Cobb???????!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ofer;

Fluorochemicals are more mixable in solvents than in water solutions.

They usually must be modified to be stable in water-based solutions.

We sell fairly large quantities of both solvent-based and water-based fluorochemical protectors.

The solvent-based protectors provide:

1. better repellency

2. more durability.

An organic vapor respirator should be worn for BOTH types.

Larry Cobb

John Watson

I can still hear the sprayer as Bob Huges from Chem Spec Demoed it in his booth at our early 80's CCINW conventions.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Come on, I know you guys are not wearing respirators in front of your customers to spray protectors. I just got a multi-sprayer and it was worth every penny. I bet it pays for itself soon too. No more running the truckmount so I can apply protectors with hydroforce, no more dumping chemicals out of the pump up sprayer. I put in the order after applying protector to a sectional with a trigger sprayer for over half an hour.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Larry Cobb said:
Ofer;

Fluorochemicals are more mixable in solvents than in water solutions.

They usually must be modified to be stable in water-based solutions.

We sell fairly large quantities of both solvent-based and water-based fluorochemical protectors.

The solvent-based protectors provide:

1. better repellency

2. more durability.

An organic vapor respirator should be worn for BOTH types.

Larry Cobb

And what about the few gallons of slow evaporating toxic solvent that was just introduced into the client's home?
How much exposure are they getting?
How healthy is that?

People here go bonkers about hyper heat, pressure and acid rinse that at best and only in theory, will reduce the residue in the client's home by a fraction of an ounce, yet not even hesitate to add gallons of a known carcinogen.
Go figure.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Shorty Down Under said:
Talking of bottom lines..........................

With a solvent based product, you apply neat.

With water based, it is diluted down.

What is your profit margin using solvent compared to water based at a ready to use dilution ??

Health wise, I do prefer the water based protectors.

A lot of people object to wearing an organic vapour mask in a house.

I usually counteract any questions by pointing out that I am applying this product day in/day out, and would use a filtered mask with any solution that I handle regularly.

Whereas the home owner is not in direct contact with the product as I am, so these precautions would not b required.

Ooroo :roll:
Shorty,
I tell them that teflon coats fibers and that I do not want it to coat my lungs. I also ask them not to be in the room when I apply it and to thoroughly air the room after wards.

All my clients like and appreciate it. They know that a cleaner who takes good care of themselves and their health will also take good care of them.

In marketing you do not tell the client that you care, you demonstrate it by what you actually do.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If I can add to Scott's excellent post, if you use the right spray tip and pressure you won't atomize the product to the point there is any need for a respirator. Use a wand to spray near the carpet and the large droplets fall instead of drifting. We've had an industrial hygenist (from Prezant) test the chemical drift when spraying a variety of products and they found no measurable atomized product farther than 6 inches from the spray tip.

I'd still want the birds moved before spraying any solvents.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom