PTO Blues

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So last week the governor for my hydraulic PTO started leaking all over the cab. Go to the truck shop and the part is $184.00. The guy wanted to get his showroom cleaned and said he would trade. Small show room would only take an hour.

So I show up today to do the job and started the machine and then I noticed antifreeze all over the cab. Pin hole in the hose. Duct tape to the rescue.

I put a rubber patch with RTV sealer and a solid stainless clamp over it for now. To replace the hose would be over $200 and that’s me doing it. Thinking if splicing but not sure what to use.

I can’t wait to get a slide in.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
fix it right the first time and never worry about it again. maybe you can use that hi-tech hose bob uses.

gene

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
GeneMiller said:
fix it right the first time and never worry about it again. maybe you can use that hi-tech hose bob uses.

gene
i jus turned down a build today....the guy called me and wanted me to build him a custom machine for jus flood sucking...( yes he WAS a dumbass)...
but EVERY OTHER question was...HOW MUCH THIS...
HOW MUCH that!
Funny thing....he was an Arab guy that i had sold a Genie too and lives down by Jamie!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
bob vawter said:
GeneMiller said:

gene
i jus turned down a build today....the guy called me and wanted me to build him a custom machine for jus flood sucking...( yes he WAS a dumbass)...
HOW MUCH that!
Funny thing....he was an Arab guy that i had sold a Genie too and lives down by Jamie!
f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7eYnDddsicf]

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
bob vawter said:
GeneMiller said:

gene
HOW MUCH that!

:shock: Friken Racist!! I'm sure he's got a lot of cousins that will give you more business bob. :roll:

Name
Lee Stockwell
Most farm implement dealers or industrial hydraulic suppliers will have the correct hose in stock and have fittings and tools to make it work.

I use 1" high pressure hydraulic hose for one of my heat exchangers.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
that Butler i had was ALL AN line..
heres the HX
butlerHX-2.jpg

Name
Lee Stockwell
It's crazy NOT to have an EXHAUST heat exchanger when you have a V8 engine sitting there running the whole time. It would be easy to do.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Lee Stockwell said:
It's crazy NOT to have an EXHAUST heat exchanger when you have a V8 engine sitting there running the whole time. It would be easy to do.
so Lee...how WOULD you do it....?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Right behind the catalytic converter unbolt the exhaust pipe and add a loop that totals about 8' of pipe that is flared on one end so that it bolts stock back up to the converter and tail pipe in their stock locations. Coil about 150' of 3/8" stainless tubing around that loop and insulate over the complete assembly. Don't insulate the converter or factory exhaust however, as this could trigger warranty issues.

There would be a couple of other details for freeze-proofing it. I did a crude version of this when I had a Butler.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Lee Stockwell said:
Right behind the catalytic converter unbolt the exhaust pipe and add a loop that totals about 8' of pipe that is flared on one end so that it bolts stock back up to the converter and tail pipe in their stock locations. Coil about 150' of 3/8" stainless tubing around that loop and insulate over the complete assembly. Don't insulate the converter or factory exhaust however, as this could trigger warranty issues.

There would be a couple of other details for freeze-proofing it. I did a crude version of this when I had a Butler.
yes the freeze-proofing was giving me a hard time..... :?:

Name
Lee Stockwell
I had both ends of the loop come up thru the floor at the side door to quick couplers. When I used it a short section of solution hose went from the machine to the inlet qc and the working solution hose was hooked to the outlet qc. I blew the water out of the loop between jobs, you could just vacuum it. I'd love to figure a way to have it just drain out but not enough room to do it right.

I didn't bother to do a temperature control on it, got stinking hot. I used copper and just 25' of it. Too busy at the time to keep playing with it.

lance

Steve, is that question for Lee or the Vawter?

I bet it was for Bob, wasn't it???? somewhat amus

Name
Lee Stockwell
Would be NO measurable increase in back pressure, no change to existing pipes.

Basically an 8' addition of plain pipe...coils around it. Unbolt tailpipe from converter, clamp one end of loop to converter junction, other end of loop to tailpipe junction less than 4" from its original location.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
it would work FINE for someone wit a warm garage...
cuz it sure as hell WOULDN't freeze up driving down the road!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Louis,
You might have the only Prochem hydraulic unit in normal use. Most were history within months of installation. Sounds like your troubles are pretty minor, so knock on some wood when you complain about hydraulic leaks.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Hydraulic was a great concept, it works in many industrial applications. Prochem just cut the wrong corners when the designed theirs. Undersized some key components and didn't ask the right questions to fix it.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
There are 5 more in operation here in Calif, all owned by Coit. Prochem should of just made a direct dirve and used a different heat exchanger. The 25 gallons of oil is a lot of weight to carry for the little hp you get. The clutch for the pump is $500 because they over run the pump. I run the machine at 2200 rpm and it has a lot less problems now.

I went to delta rubber and got a 1 1/4' x 1 1/4" hose barb and clamps. Cut the hose right where the hole was at and it's doing fine now.

I hope spring is better this year so I can finish the tm I'm buliding in my garage and let the van motor rest when I get to the job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom