Pto hrs vs mileage

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I know I've seen it here before but never paid much attention

What is the conversion rate of hrs on a pto or direct drive system TM that needs to be added as mileage on host vehicle?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Depends on whether you'll ever have to justify your figures to the tax man. If you want to be accurate, call your PTO maker. They know the answer for their units, they're asked all the time.

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
Years ago (and I believe I do have this information filed....) someone did a study and if I remember correctly, they calculated : 1 hour = 60 miles on the truck. This does make sense since the motor is still running.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I was thinking the question was asked in regard to fuel use and tax rebates, and now realize that it can also be important to set maintenance points.

For tax rebates, we put fuel meters on several trucks to tell exactly how much fuel was used by the PTO. Fuel use was less than what was quoted by the manufacturer, so we were better off using the higher figure.

For maintenance we've used the manufacturer's figures combined with our use. Plugs and wires get changed at 25k intervals, transmissions get flushed at 50k, and oil filters get changed every month. No other special maintenance needed.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
I wonder how anyone would register when to change their truck oil? That would be difficult because of the variables.
Good posts above.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom