PTO machine or Dream

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Judson Labs, Masterblend, and many similar truckmount makers, show us everyday how reliable, efficienty and affordable a fuel heated truckmount can be.

So... why has a manufacturer created a PTO truckmount minus the heat exchanger headache and add a fuel burner instead?

How much more performance could your get out of a CDS, cleanco, butler, or white magic if it didn't have to worry about mutliple heat exchangers but rather a pressure pump and blower?

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
my big trucks dont use heat exchangers. Fuel fired and get up to 260' very quickly. Much easier to maintain and especially enjoy not having to replace heat exchangers during the winter.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Yes Zero Rez had them but they also discontinued that design. And they worked on a true Pto. the van installed untis like the CDS, butler, white magic, Bawb's cleanining Mochine, that use a clutch drive system, and a heat exchanger utilizing the van's coolant and perhaps a secondary heat exchanger from the blowers exhaust the "over top" heat.

Just seems to me.. and backed up by Les Jones, that a system that does not need to utilize a heat exchanger would be simpler to install, perform better, and create less headaches when it comes to correcting any problems.

Most of the high heat clutch drive systems on the market utilize a secondary heat exchanger using the exhaust of the blower to boost the water temperature but at the cost of restricting the blower to create the heat. So now you have increased the temperature of the blower, and you are already redirecting coolant from the van it self.

A fuel burner would elimiminate the need for even messing with the van's coolant during install. The blower could be plumbed to maximize vacuum efficiency. And you could still achieve maximum heat.

Name
Nate W.
sweendogg said:
Yes Zero Rez had them but they also discontinued that design. And they worked on a true Pto. the van installed untis like the CDS, butler, white magic, Bawb's cleanining Mochine, that use a clutch drive system, and a heat exchanger utilizing the van's coolant and perhaps a secondary heat exchanger from the blowers exhaust the "over top" heat.

Just seems to me.. and backed up by Les Jones, that a system that does not need to utilize a heat exchanger would be simpler to install, perform better, and create less headaches when it comes to correcting any problems.

Most of the high heat clutch drive systems on the market utilize a secondary heat exchanger using the exhaust of the blower to boost the water temperature but at the cost of restricting the blower to create the heat. So now you have increased the temperature of the blower, and you are already redirecting coolant from the van it self.

A fuel burner would elimiminate the need for even messing with the van's coolant during install. The blower could be plumbed to maximize vacuum efficiency. And you could still achieve maximum heat.

I love my LG heaters. But the whole reason why they make HX is free heat. Most don't like to fill another fuel to get hot water. I don't mind the extra cost to have instant heat. I'd love one of Bawb's Steam Genie's but the cost of rebuilding a motor is refuckingdiculous down here. Plus the salt air that eats up your van. Finding a low milage 98-02 Chevy in good condition for a decent price, is like finding a needle in a haystack...... shiteatinggrin

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
The HX system heating the water also cools the van engine. It is why you can run your van motor and turn a blower in a driveway for hours in 100 degree temps without overheating. Without the HX a gas fired system wouldn't work. A diesel engine probably would though. I hate the smell of diesel exhaust. It's bad enough blasting my Roots 56 all day, then to have to choke on diesel fumes, I don't think I could bear it.

Chris A

Name
Chris
The way to do it would be a diesel van/diesel burner. I imagine with ULSD soot is at a minimum for those wayne burners... asked Les about this a while ago, no response that I saw, but would be really kick ass...

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Art Kelley said:
The HX system heating the water also cools the van engine. It is why you can run your van motor and turn a blower in a driveway for hours in 100 degree temps without overheating. Without the HX a gas fired system wouldn't work. A diesel engine probably would though. I hate the smell of diesel exhaust. It's bad enough blasting my Roots 56 all day, then to have to choke on diesel fumes, I don't think I could bear it.

Now that is one of the best reasons I read for not doing it. (and I admit I forgot that fact!)

Becker

Name
Becker
Ben. You stated big trucks. Trucks meaning more than one.

So are you just trying to sound big? Or was the 1st old zerorez truck such a success you bought another? And another?

TimP

If you want more heat out of a cds system and don't like the blower heater or if a blower post heater isn't enough. You can easily add a lg 3ht to your cds machine. Plenty of heat. Rex has a 3ht post heater for his cleanco. He can throw live steam all day long with it.....

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Oh I'm not saying I need a new truckmount or more heat.. (though it would be nice). No I was just disscussing my curiosity as to why there was no Lp pto machine for clutch drive systems.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
sweendogg said:
Oh I'm not saying I need a new truckmount or more heat.. (though it would be nice). No I was just disscussing my curiosity as to why there was no Lp pto machine for clutch drive systems.
very simple Sweendog....ya don NEED it....
but you only find that out

AFTER you run one!
and 'cides the longevity of the unit more than makes up the few degrees of heat you give up..

again...you only find that out...
after you run one!

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
yeah pretty much... Only time I wish I had more heat is when I get a grease pit. But a little more chemistry, and some agitation and I can get around that fact.

TimP

I'd like more heat. Need it? Probably not for residential.

Lately I've been running my rx-20 with 6 flow. Heat has been at about 170 when I start up the machine, around 190-200 after it heats up the blower. I'd like 220-230 atm running the RX-20.

I've been thinking lately about what I want my next machine to have. I hope maybe I can get someone to build me a custom machine with the exact specs I want, at a reasonable price. I think I may just have to find a used one and modify it to my wants. No CDS machine again. Mine may be for sale next september......

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I'm between a rock and a hard place.. I like the Judson design and the Masterblend design. The Judson's 150 gallon stainless built in waste tank is very intrigueing and I like the similar desing in the El Diablo. The problem is we have had amazing service from Jon Don and they are the closest distributer for cleaning equipment. ( I know big problem right?!) Well they sell Hydramaster, Prochem and and Saphire Scientific. I'd love to see them handle the Masterblend El diablo as well and put it in one of their cub van packages. The 14 or 16 foot box 4500 series. Similarly I'd love to see the Judson in one as well. Besides being able to haul everything, they are great rolling bill boards.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Heater or heat exchanger, my limited experience with both just seems like each has its own set of problems to deal with. At least the heat exchanger is free heat, until you have to buy or repair an exchanger.

The post-heater costs money all day, everyday. There is also the employee safety factor involved. Again, my experience has been that the LG heater can be dangerous if not inspected before, during, and after every single job. What employee is really going to do that? It also seems like we run out of propane at the most inconvenient times and places, something that could be avoided by paying more attention to the tank - but it does get overlooked at times.

A diesel burner would require a separate fuel source if your van was gas. Where is that going to be installed? So if you choose to put a fuel tank in the van, that could be smelly and scary. A separate fuel cell under the van would require a fuel pump, filter, electricity, and line - all of which can fail or leak at any time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom