PTO Unit RPM's

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
I bought my White Magic 1200 used in 2007. It is in a 1 ton Chevy van. The RPM was set at 1200 (from the factory?) with the machine running / no load. I checked the manual, the stated RPM range is 1200 to 1500. I thought OK, running at the lower end of the scale will wear the machine less and went on to the next thing.

3 years later I had to pull the throttle cables to service the engine. I reassembled the engine and set it to run at 1500 RPM, no load, with the PTO engaged.

Man that woke up this old White Magic unit! Should I keep it @ 1500? What RPM's are y'all runnin at?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
This is a copy of a email from WM. I would make sure it's not pulling more than 1500 under load.

Hey Mike,

I was already gone yesterday when u called, low RPM's should not cause the clutch to fail - our newer machines all have 3 speed settings , 1000, 1250, and 1500 RPM's. Just be sure to make sure you have a good ground coming off of the clutch and driveshaft (very important!!)

Let me know if you need anything!

Jon
White Magic Inc
----- Original Message -----

P.S. Want to buy another 1200?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Hows it going Chris? I run my 1200 at 1500 and 16" and this seems to be the sweet spot. Beyond that say 2000 RPMs and 19-20" she starts to eventually make wimpering sounds and the vacuum stops even though the blower is turning. Scary. 8K hours doing this with no problems on the drive train.

PS, if you have the vacuum advance type of RPM booster (mine is a 2003 WM) you can pull the suction tube off the module and this keeps the RPM at idle which is great for prespraying, light upholstery cleaning, etc. Just pop it back on and you're back to business.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I have a vernier throttle cable and can adjust my rpms on the fly for whatever job im doing, since NO job is the same.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Hi Art, I am doing much better now, it is like I have a new machine. I do have the early style throttle control like yours. I like your idea of pulling the vacuum line. Take it to the next level. The vac switch is a simple electrically controlled open / close switch. I am thinking of a toggle switch on the control panel to turn it off and on without opening the hood.

I also like Ashleys vernier throttle cable for infinite adjustment.

I put in a call to see if I could get the new style control for 1000, 1250, or 1500 RPM like Mike has. I will not be able to get one from White Magic for a month or so while they "reorginize". I am sure they do not manufacture the control unit. Anyone know where I can find one?

Mike, I will trade you a sweet Performer 405 with 2000 hours for your WM 1200.

1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPOx9ytEJgk1]

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
I have a 2001 Chevy 1 ton extended. That unit says it will only work on 2002 and up.

looks like an easy plug and play install for everyone with a van newer than mine.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Art Kelley said:
I run my 1200 at 1500 and 16" and this seems to be the sweet spot. Beyond that say 2000 RPMs and 19-20" she starts to eventually make wimpering sounds and the vacuum stops even though the blower is turning. Scary. 8K hours doing this with no problems on the drive train.

I just finished testing my 1200 with the 3rd eclectic clutch I’ve had installed in a short period. I think the reason they were burning out is that the rubber bracket that supports the engine side of the shaft was worn out and had some play. I had the mechanic use a piece of radiator hose and clamp it down tight this time.

The clutch is holding so far. when I tryed to adjust the RPM’s over 1200 and 15 HG under full load the blower stops working, but revs to super high RPM’s and HG and makes the sound as Art descried. Any Ideas what would cause this?

White Magic going out of business could not have happened at a worse time for me. If anyone is more familiar with the machine and better at turning a wrench, I would be happy to sell 2001 extended / WM 1200 for what I have in it ($7K).

Name
Jesse
It sounds like your belts on the blower are slipping under high load. Our machines are simple enough you shouldn't need WM. I usually run our vans at about 1600rpm's, blower at 16-18hg. Those numbers shouldn't be a problem.

When my drive shaft went bad on our pro2000, the bearing in the front end had so much play that the pulley would rub on the magnet. If the shaft turns freely by hand without the belts on then I think that would be the only way a bad shaft would burn a clutch out.

If the belt in the engine bay is slipping then
1) your tensioner is bad or loose.
2) Your shaft is loose, however it's very unlikely that it would make the belt slip if your tensioner is good. I've lost the rubber bushing several times and it just grumbles.
3) Your main crank pulley on the harmonic balancer is coming apart or loose. It sounds crazy but the one on my pro 2000 ripped apart at the bolts. It happened slowly and we kept having to put smaller belts on and couldn't figure out why. We used three sizes over a week until we seen it start to wobble.

If the machine belts are slipping and everything turns freely with the belts off then
1) your tensioner is bad or you need smaller tighter belts
2) Something moved. Check the post that holds the shaft in the rear, see if it's loose. One of my machines had rust under one corner of the machine. The machine was tipping slightly which caused the belts to slip under a heavy load. I used a comealong to the ceiling of the van to support it until I had time to pull the machine and repair the floor.
3) Your vac guage is bad, your pulling 20hg.

If I can help further call my cell, pm sent.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Great advice, thank you! That definitely gives me some places to trouble shoot I had not thought of. I might give you a call after a bit more testing.

JoeClean

For the RPM figures you guys are giving, is that engine RPM at the crankshaft
or PTO shaft rpm.

Anyone know what the optimal engine RPM is for fuel economy
while maintaining smooth power under load?
I've heard that below 1300 rpm can cause carbon build up.
My Cleanco has the engine running at around 1420rpm at full speed.
Has a low speed (marked upholstery) setting of around 1100 engine rpm.

It seems you could run the engine at any speed since you can keep
the blower at the same rpm by changing pulley diameters.

Hey Lee Stockwell! haven't seen your name since your days on the ICS board.
Glad to see your still involved!

Joe Kelly
Sledgehammer owner since 2000
recent purchaser of used Cleanco compact 56

Name
Jesse
Joe, I (and I think the others) was referring to truck engine rpms. Pulleys are easy to change an you can buy a hand held rpm meter that reads pulley/crank rpm for about 30 bucks at the Chinese hardware store.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom