PTO - Using Engine Oil or trans fluid for heat?

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I was just thinking of something,
Why not use the HOT engine oil and or the HOT transmission fluid to heat or assist in heating our cleaning water?
It would help cool the components, extending engine/transmision life?

Ive had to add a HUGE trans cooler to keep it from overheating while cleaning carpet, and it seems an HX powered by trans fluid would provide all the cooling it needed.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I've never had a problem with the PTO transmissions I've owned, my current PTO's tranny is still pristine after 9 years, 9K hours and 110K miles. I change the fluid every year or two if I remember. But hey, go for it. It can't hurt to cool anything sitting in a driveway baking away.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Lee Stockwell said:
Prochem had problems using oil to heat water.

The "cooling need" sometimes doesn't match the "heating need"

Mainly thinking of it as a "pre heater" to take the chill off the water before it enters the main hx.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
We had tranny overheating issues with the steamgenie. I ended up running it in neutral with the wheels chocked. That did help.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You run the risk of the exchanger failing due to pressure, heat, vibration or whatever and causing catastrophic damage to your power plant.

Ie
we have coolant coming from the engine thru our fresh tank and back to the engine to preheat the water to 150 or so.

When the coolant hose breaks off of our fresh water For whatever reason( it has already happened) the engine overheats in about four to five minutes just driving down the highway with a warning n the dash after the damage has already been done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom