Pulling out my slide-in

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
In the past I have taken it to a local Kohler dealer who has a fork lift, he put it on an open trailer so I could work on it. This time I want to do it myself. I need to do some work from the under side so it need to be standing up off the ground at least a foot. Any suggestions?

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Yeah they have some that reach pretty damn high for getting at truck engines and such. i wouldnt work under one though. Maybe use jack stands or build a wood frame under it.

Mark

Shane I used a cherry picker once to take out a unit, I hooked soft ties on all four corners of the frame to even up the load so its not unstable.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
engine hoist will work.

you don't have to raise the unit high.
Just an inch or two off the floor is all you need.
I'm probably not familiar enough with your TM to recommend the right lifting sling attachment points.
Get them set right, and it'll lift right up straight.

I've made mods to mine to make it easy in and out with a chain hoist.
My Powermatic's aluminum tube frame makes it easy to do that.
I roll it right out onto a heavy table I made to be the same height as the van floor

Before I had a PM I used a spud bar to lift and place 3/4" pipes under the frame so I could winch/roll it out onto a the table.
That might work for you.
Hardwood dowels or even wooden broom handles can be substituted for the pipe

That was some what of a PITA, but it worked and allowed a BDCC like me to get it done by myself

..L.T.A.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Thanks guys, I try the the hoist. I have used the pipe method to move it around a bit but my unit is rear mounted and its very difficult to get beside it.

R

R W

I've got the Powermatic sitting on the Steamway wheel kit I bought back in '92. I did the "spud bar" method to get it out of the truck far enough to get the front wheel kit on, then SLOWLY pulled it out and propped it on blocks to pull the van away. The rear set of wheels are actually made from "trailer tongue" adjustable screw jacks. It was also mounted on the SW conveyor system in the van.

I'd say cherry picker and nylon straps if you have any good pick-up points.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
One great thing about hydramaster's older hydracats was the drop down leg feature. All you had to do was slide the machine out about a foot, drop down the legs and put on the casters. Then slide the machine almost all the way out, drop down the second set of legs and attach casters and you could roll it anywhere to work on. Simple one man operation. All truckmounts should be designed with a feature like this for removal.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Shane T said:
my unit is rear mounted and its very difficult to get beside it.

Mine is rear mounted too, Shane.

If you can get it lifted straight up and stable, have some one drive the van out from under it instead of yanking around the hoist.

as someone already mentioned, i wouldn't work under it just hanging from the hoist either.
But i figure you already know not to do that.

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom