Pump Comparisons - Cat vs Hypro vs General

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Please explain the pros and cons of different pumps. I see different manufactures using different pumps. What are the differences between these pumps. Also, keep in mind if you have a pump fail on you, would a local shop be able to work on it and or you be able to find parts for it locally?

Thanks,

Bill

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
How does the HTX1813S General compare to the Hypro 2359-P Triplex pump?

T

The Magician

You have a 290 cat pump which is a good pump. If there no water in the oil just rebuilt it. Very easy. You can buy a new Clutch at the parts store. maybe somone will give you a tip where to buy the best one.(pump clutch)

Name
Lee Stockwell
We've had many Cat pumps, 290, 340ht, 3cp and 5cp. Good pumps and nearly bulletproof. Don't run without oil or let them freeze and they are good for several thousand hours.

However I really like the General Emperor pump I got from Cobb's a year ago. Side by side you can see the superior build quality. I like that it can take more heat and isn't hurt by running dry.

Name
Steve Lawrence
I currently have a 290 Cat Pump with almost 6000 hours that has never needed anything but oil changes. Sorry, can't comment on the others.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

I don't see whole lot of diffrence in any of the mentioned pumps. Except if your in a freeze/break prone area, then Generals have a head manifold warranty. And i have seen plenty manifolds break or swell. My crew took training @ General.

Thx,
Dale

MerCrewser

I hated the Hypros from the 90's. We replaced them almost yearly on our 800As. Always had milky oil in them. Lots of the older PC had Cat pump replacements.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Experience with Hypros and Comets: Easy to repair, needed repair too often.

Experience with Cats: 290 (and variants) great pump, needed rebuils around 10,000 hours. 3CP and 5CPs are crap. Turn into shrapnel if you don't catch the leaks in time, and if you do catch the leaks the rebuild kits will cost almost as much as replacement.

Experience with General: Perfect so far. Oldest is five years

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Like Jimmy said, I have a cat 290 w/out a clutch, I do need a clutch. I'm not sure of it's condition, came w/ the TM I bought. Eventually I'll be looking for a higher psi pump.

Thanks for the feedback.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
tmdry said:
Like Jimmy said, I have a cat 290 w/out a clutch, I do need a clutch. I'm not sure of it's condition, came w/ the TM I bought. Eventually I'll be looking for a higher psi pump.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit, found out I have a cat 280 w/ no clutch, not 290.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
hypros are total crap, They would fail in catastrophic fashion when I used to run steam genie slide ins. I am talking smoke would be coming out of them and the rods would be broken inside.

CAT are awesome pumps I haven't seen one go bad yet, I have a 3cp on my unit with 2500 hrs and its never been any problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom