Pump Frozen

lesterj2

Woke up this morning to go and do a job... Well when I cut on the machine to let it warm up for a while I see the belt moving ... But the pulley on the pump wasnt rotating... Have any of yall ever had that problem...

If so what could I do to fix...

TimP

When it's cold like this you need to keep a heater in the van at night to keep your stuff from freezing up. Best thing to do is to try to get the water in it defrosted. Then try it again. If you're lucky everything should be fine. If not you're probably going to have to get a new pump or rebuild that one.

I've never had the problem so I don't know all the details. All I can say is if the water is frozen get it melted first. Then go from there. A lot of times your hoses will be frozen too.

It got down to 27 here last night.....and I didn't realise it was going to get that cold last night and I didn't put my van in the garage so I hope everything is cool with it. I'll find out later today :roll:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Yes, it's frozen water. Don't turn it on again until everything is thawed. If you have a heat exchanger it could be frozen also. Good luck.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Art Kelley said:
Yes, it's frozen water. Don't turn it on again until everything is thawed. If you have a heat exchanger it could be frozen also. Good luck.

what Art said.

"hopefully" you didn't jack the pump by trying to engage it

the reason it wouldn't spin was cause it was full of ice.
You might get lucky and HX didn't freeze solid enough to pop.
you'll know once it's "completely" thawed.
if you see water dribbling out of the HX, they're popped and need repaired or replaced

How cold did it get in not-so-hotlanta ?

..L.T.A.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Man ... I'm surprised it got THAT cold in Georgia last night. Mid to upper 20's might freeze the chemical pump meter and maybe solution line, or two, but the PUMP?

Must have holes in the floor of that van, and left the windows down overnight, or sumptin.

Hope it thaws out good for ya.

I seriously can't see it freezing rock solid and completely ruining the pump. Might need a new seal kit, or something minor like that ... don't cha think?

I had a machine once that was frozen. After time everything that had to do with water on it failed. The freezing expanded the metal and get weak and over time they will fail. Least that is what happen in my case.

TimP

lesterj2 said:
so if it does have water in the pump would that stop the pulley from spinning...

If the water is frozen it would keep the plungers in the pump from moving. If the water isn't frozen then you could have a clutch problem or some type of other problem from it possibly being frozen in the first place.

My pump didn't have a problem at all....but I'm a wee bit more south than atlanta.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Perhaps some pumps are different from others but with a cat pump unless it's right on the floor or in front of an open window ( yea I know but in the south anything is possible - there's actually this retard in Alabama who bought a Vortex and did not know how to run it - turn on the engine duh! ) any serious damage is highly unlikely until temp drops into the mid twenties.
Put a heater or a hair dryer under it for an hour or two ( close the window first ) and it should be OK.
Learn how to run some window washer anti-freeze through the pump and heat exchanger at the end of each day when it's getting cold and you should be OK.

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
I've been running the heater and blankets on the unit every night for a couple of weeks now. Of course the heater is at least 3 feet away from the tm,which is snug in about six moving blankets(from Harbor freight).A few minutes in the evening as well as in the morning to set up/take down is worth it.
Patrick

lesterj2

thanks for all the replies, I honestly didnt know that the pump could freeze up like that and not spin...
I wasnt but an hour late to the job but I called and told the couple I was having issues... :oops:

They were understanding. And everything went swell...

SuperFly

You need to ck a few things before you start your TM up..

Pop off your psi hose and if it dribbles some water you
should be fine.. If it wont budge you have a problem.. :?

Look at your pressure gauge.. Does it read 0 or more?
If its more you have a problem.. :(

Get a themostat and hang it in the Van.. :!:

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
admiralclean said:
Or, you can pull on your mmhg hose.

If it is limp, then you have a problem.

I'd try that before "popping off" your "psi hose."

Marty you posted more than 1 word

ATTTABOY

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
had a General pump freeze on me one winter. I was away from home and helping a friend, I realized how cold it was getting outside, so I went out to fire up the truck and let it run for a while to warm things up. Had to let the engine run to thaw things.
I got about a year and a bit out of that pump before it gave out and I had to replace the whole head.

-JB-

Name
JB
Lester you do hard surface? Just be careful next time you turn the pressure up, may hold good at 4-500 psi, 1000-1400? Another story. Check it out before ya need it.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
From my experience the pressure gauge is the FIRST to freeze...if it is pegged....you're toast!

hogjowl

Idiot™
No, you're not "toast", and it's not that big of a deal.

You just spend a few bucks and get another pressure gauge.

It's not like it's a business ending repair.

In VA most of the time it doesn't get too cold and you can get away with putting a light in the van. We have a shop, but I had to leave 4 out last week one night when it was in the low 20s, due to having the floor covered with rugs. Had no problems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom