Pump issue

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I have a 5cp 6120.3 Cat Pump that I am going to have to replace. I am posting pictures to get some idea why this would have happened with less than 2000 hrs on the pump. Lets see who is the smartest. :p
DSC_0389.jpg
DSC_0385.jpg

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I'm not very good with pumps but I'll give it a guess. it looks like the water was very hard and the pump wasn't getting enough flow or had an air leak.
what you running threw that thing, acid.
gene

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Gene, Just hot water, it has a pulse pump on it. No chemicals go through it. It leaked when it had 200 hrs on it, I should have had it replaced under warranty. The company sent me a new head that helped for a year, but now it needs replaced.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Well, there you go: hot water. That will shorten a pump's life.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
seal blew and water pitted and corroded the metal.......also looks like it may have been slamming right side looks a bit bent....damper may have went out.......

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Joe, The pump gets it supply water from a 240 gallon tank that is heated by the diesel engine. The thermostat controls the heat, it couldn't get any hotter than 180 if you drove around all day and never refilled the tank. The higher temps are attained after the pump.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
ronbeatty said:
Joe, The pump gets it supply water from a 240 gallon tank that is heated by the diesel engine. The thermostat controls the heat, it couldn't get any hotter than 180 if you drove around all day and never refilled the tank. The higher temps are attained after the pump.

Ron...
"Just ...RibbInG you a bit.."... :p :p :lol:

Almost ...ALL HX unit's pump HOT water....They just use a WATER BOX...and they
have a 180 degree sensor... !gotcha! :mrgreen:

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
ronbeatty said:
Brian, Central PA has a lot of limestone, we have some of the best water in the country.

Det. may not have much, but we have the best water. shiteatinggrin

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
ronbeatty said:
Does anyone think it could be bad casting :?:

nope.....if you look to the far right you can see signs of the water starting to pit the metal and chip it away like it did on the top....these pumps are made of cheap metal.......the head is brass because it is the end that takes the worse pounding...once they leak it does not take long for the water to start eating away at the body.......

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Ron I have a pump u can have. It has no head . call me if u want it.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
ronbeatty said:
Does anyone think it could be bad casting :?:

Ron..
I realized that you purchased your "V" ...NEW...

But that CAT pump ..."could have as many as 5000 hrs. on it".. :shock:

My 99 Butler had a CAT pump go bad.."leak"..with less than 300 hours on IT... :evil:
Of course they warrantied IT...!...But when they received the pump back...I got a call
that the pump ...I had returned was a REBUILT PUMP.... :shock: :x :x :x

I called Paul JAO...and "Lit his ASS of FIRE"... :evil:

I was MORE pIssED that his parts guy...was insuating that I was trying to RIPP Butler OFF..!
Than the ...FACT..."I had a RE-BUILT pump on my "NEW"..ButLeR... :roll:

I am NOT saying that you may have gotten a RE-BUILT pump...! "BUT..it can happen".. :idea:

ps Take a razor blade...and see if there is MORE than 1 color of blue paint... :?: They
always RE-PAINT...the re-builds... !gotcha!

ps..He had the NERVE to ask..? "I don't understand why you are Soooo upset..?" The Re-built
carries the SAME warranty... :roll:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Doug Cox said:
What did you sell that pump for Bob?
new pump AND new clutch...
i got fi hunnert!

i gots a couple more laying around here somewhur.........................

joe harper

Name
joe harper
ronbeatty said:
Joe, I ran Butlers for 25 yrs, had some of the same experiences. :roll: :?: :shock:

Ron..

As USUAL...Jim Martin's explanation...is the most logical..!

However..as well as you represent the VORTEX flagship...I find it very
hard to believe...That whom-ever you purchased those unit's...SHOULD
be willing to sell you a NEW cat pump @ "cost"... :!:

Especially since this was an ISSUE from the on-set... !gotcha!

ps I was VERY happy with my Butlers ...over all... :!: But we NEED more POWER.. :!:
LUDLOW MASS...Was a LONG way for us to do business..freight ALONE..was a problem. :!:

G

Gnu

wasnt that the first year the 5Cp came out? I am sure they had to meet a massive quota to build up the supply for the manufacturers. and yup it probably went to the lowest bidder. in good old mexico. without pictures I would guess a bad mix of tin and brass either not hot enough to weld together or cooled too quicklly and fracturing. works great for steel but not so much for brass

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom