PUMP replacement or rebuild

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
How many hours of use can I expect a CAT pump to work before I either rebuild or replace?

And is it just better to replace with a new pump or go the rebuild route?

Looking for least amount of down time and hassles.

And do many of you service them/rebuild etc before there are problems?

A. wilson

Put a new one in and rebuild the old one and keep it for a spare. That way you have the best you can on the machine, and in case something goes drastically wrong you can do a quick swap with no worries.

If you don't run the pump dry, there is no reason you shouldnt get several thousand hours before it needs rebuilt.

G

you should have an extra of each an' every part on yor machine,if you are a one truck show!

The Preacher

no. i was tapping the filter on the side walk trying to get more stuff off and the top broke off. i used marine goop but it didn't hold??? that pool filter is my new best friend!

Name
steve snail
Jimmy,

I have a CAT pump and have installed a new cup kit with the help and advice of the good folks on this board. High Performance has a thread on this very thing. Call me if you have any questions or need help.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Steve I have no need right now .
I always like to plan far ahead.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I keep a spare high temp rebuild kit
very easy to rebuild pump.........

good lithium grease .. on hand and pay close attention the the directions of the cones when you pull the seals........

hour to hour and a half pending how hard it is to pull the pump............

-JB-

Name
JB
Danny, try....
Picture080.jpg

RichardnTn

FWIW, I have never had a problem with rear seals on any pump. I have had to rebuild a number of pumps and put in hot and dry kits instead of the standard seal kit. It isn't that much more. Best to keep a repair kit on hand and a couple of check valves. If you choose not too, you can use a good sealer to temporarily stop any air leaks on the head. ( I personally haven't had that much trouble myself but I help the other guys around town when they need a pump rebuilt.) Both General and Cat have good websites and there are number of very accessible dealers, usually close by... Best to all, Richard R

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom