Pushing through the wall of fear

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
Well guys, and Meg, I'm doing it. I have been scared to death to hire someone. It has been my biggest roadblock in this business. Big Thanks to @Mikey P . I used his Santa Cruz help wanted ad and posted it a few days ago. I have had a really good response and to my surprise I have had a ton of female applicants. Some of them would surely cause issues with my wife. I narrowed the pool down to a couple of guys. Taking my first prospect out tomorrow for the day. I'm really excited about having an assistant, but I'm also nervous.

I plan to give him a "working interview" tomorrow as we bang out three jobs together. I'm not going to let him do anything, just shadow me. See how he is around my customers and how he conducts himself. This guy is 27, has two little ones, clean DMV, and no drug use. Now lets see if he can show up on time.

I plan on paying him for his time tomorrow as a courtesy. I need to figure out all the California compliant crap. Workmans comp insurance, taxes, payroll. Things were so much easier with my Oklahoma team. This seems like the next progressive step in the growth of my business. If I don't push through, I'll stay where I'm at.

Any advice from you well seasoned pros is always welcome.

Cleanworks

Credits
Name
Ron Marriott
Well guys, and Meg, I'm doing it. I have been scared to death to hire someone. It has been my biggest roadblock in this business. Big Thanks to @Mikey P . I used his Santa Cruz help wanted ad and posted it a few days ago. I have had a really good response and to my surprise I have had a ton of female applicants. Some of them would surely cause issues with my wife. I narrowed the pool down to a couple of guys. Taking my first prospect out tomorrow for the day. I'm really excited about having an assistant, but I'm also nervous.

I plan to give him a "working interview" tomorrow as we bang out three jobs together. I'm not going to let him do anything, just shadow me. See how he is around my customers and how he conducts himself. This guy is 27, has two little ones, clean DMV, and no drug use. Now lets see if he can show up on time.

I plan on paying him for his time tomorrow as a courtesy. I need to figure out all the California compliant crap. Workmans comp insurance, taxes, payroll. Things were so much easier with my Oklahoma team. This seems like the next progressive step in the growth of my business. If I don't push through, I'll stay where I'm at.

Any advice from you well seasoned pros is always welcome.

call your workmans comp and give them his ssn. tell them how much you are paying him. Just in case he is injured on the job.

Reactions: Nomad74

sOOper hero

Number 5
Credits
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm not going to let him do anything

if he's too stoopit to tab furniture or reel in hoses after 14 seconds of instruction, he's a dolt

If he's standing behind you watching you trip over hoses and not intuitively managing them for you....he's a moron that will have to be spoon fed the simplest of tasks like not storing chems upside down with the lid off.....

where was he working?
Job history??
and if not currently working, what's the reason?
Layoff?

..L.T.A.

Brian H

Credits
Name
Brian H
Make sure you are covered for work comp and insurance BEFORE the ride along. Just suppose he has an accident at the first job. Let's say he slips and falls on wet tile, hits his head and can no longer work... ever again. Closed head injury and you are supporting him for the rest of his life.

That was intended to scare you, I hope it works.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
I
Make sure you are covered for work comp and insurance BEFORE the ride along. Just suppose he has an accident at the first job. Let's say he slips and falls on wet tile, hits his head and can no longer work... ever again. Closed head injury and you are supporting him for the rest of his life.

That was intended to scare you, I hope it works.
I'm calling my insurance guy this morning. I don't have any workmans comp. Never needed it before. If he slips and hurts himself within the first hour, i'll be hiding a body in the woods.

Last edited:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Credits
Name
John Stewart
@Nomad74

Hiring sombody!? You have my condolences.
The total employee cost will be about double what you pay him.
once you get the worker's comp quote-- you might abandon your hiring idea until your revenue increases.

Jan 2018 had workers and revenue was $27k
Jan 2019 with no workers, revenue was $17k--- 10K less
however my profit for 2019 was $1k more!
O/O-- less headache but more body aches.

But honestly -- Good Luck.
my numbers will suck when I go on vacation next month.

rider0992

Credits
Name
Kenny Hayes
I’m not sure why Oklahoma would be easier than Cali. Less expensive maybe, but when it comes to employees, regs are the same🤷🏻‍♂️

Cleanworks

Credits
Name
Ron Marriott
If you ever want to grow in this industry or any other, employees are an evil necessity. There are both good and bad employees out there, as well as good and bad bosses. An employee will never be as good as you, not going to have the same personal interest but can be good enough. You always need to thank and reward the good ones for the extra effort and get rid of the ones who can't get the job done.

Desk Jockey

RELENTLESS
Credits
Name
Prince
If you ever want to grow in this industry or any other, employees are an evil necessity. There are both good and bad employees out there, as well as good and bad bosses. An employee will never be as good as you, not going to have the same personal interest but can be good enough. You always need to thank and reward the good ones for the extra effort and get rid of the ones who can't get the job done.
That's an owner op myth. It's what allows yourself and Ofer to sleep at night. 😉

Seriously we employed several very good employees that worked equally as hard as we would. Dan still has them there, they take personal pride in what they do. They are paid well and are valued assets to the company.

It's easy to blow it off as "nobody will ever care as much or work as hard as I" but it's not the truth.

If its truly your experience, then you are drawing in the wrong people. You need to find better candidates. Everyone likes to think they are irreplaceable when...its only I that am. 😄

Cleanworks

Credits
Name
Ron Marriott
That's an owner op myth. It's what allows yourself and Ofer to sleep at night. 😉

Seriously we employed several very good employees that worked equally as hard as we would. Dan still has them there, they take personal pride in what they do. They are paid well and are valued assets to the company.

It's easy to blow it off as "nobody will ever care as much or work as hard as I" but it's not the truth.

If its truly your experience, then you are drawing in the wrong people. You need to find better candidates. Everyone likes to think they are irreplaceable when...its only I that am. 😄
For sure there are good employees out there who will go the extra mile. Im just saying the owner/operator has a personal stake and shouldnt expect an employee to have the same interest.

Credits
Name
Jeff T
For sure there are good employees out there who will go the extra mile. Im just saying the owner/operator has a personal stake and shouldnt expect an employee to have the same interest.
Just do what Trump does... hire people smarter than you... just need them to be loyal, and not startup their own outfit.

Reactions: Newman and steve_64

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
I'm getting pretty discouraged. Between setting up payroll, Ca workmans comp insurance, w-4's, I-9's, and then finding a guy. I'm really frustrated right now. The first quote for comp insurance was $2,400 a year. Then the agent just called me and told me State Farm can't write me because they only issue comp on businesses that have had it for 2+ years. So they referred me to Statefund. Called them and was told I can only go through the website. I asked the lady then what was the point of her even answering the phone.

Got through the statefund site and the quote came in at $2,700. I also have my Farmers agent working on a quote for me. The first one he gave me was $7,600 a year. I'm really aggravated right now. How the **** do people run a business in this damn state with employees!

I may just stay a small one man show.

steve_64

Credits
I'm getting pretty discouraged. Between setting up payroll, Ca workmans comp insurance, w-4's, I-9's, and then finding a guy. I'm really frustrated right now. The first quote for comp insurance was $2,400 a year. Then the agent just called me and told me State Farm can't write me because they only issue comp on businesses that have had it for 2+ years. So they referred me to Statefund. Called them and was told I can only go through the website. I asked the lady then what was the point of her even answering the phone.

Got through the statefund site and the quote came in at $2,700. I also have my Farmers agent working on a quote for me. The first one he gave me was $7,600 a year. I'm really aggravated right now. How the **** do people run a business in this damn state with employees!

I may just stay a small one man show.
Treat him like a sub contractor for now and have him sign some papers saying so. Get a photo of his drivers license and document his pay. It won't cover you completely but its a start until you get the workmams comp. Shop around.

Its worth it once you get things in place. In texting this as Riley and Cameron are doing my job. Once I get them trained better I can stay home again.

rider0992

Credits
Name
Kenny Hayes
No, no, no!! You can’t stay a lone wolf forever! There’s shouldn’t be a lot of
difference in work comp. quotes. Stay at it.

FredC

Village Idiot
Credits
Treat him like a sub contractor for now and have him sign some papers saying so. Get a photo of his drivers license and document his pay. It won't cover you completely but its a start until you get the workmams comp. Shop around.

Its worth it once you get things in place. In texting this as Riley and Cameron are doing my job. Once I get them trained better I can stay home again.
Do not do this.

rider0992

Credits
Name
Kenny Hayes
I agree. That is opening up a big o can!! Annnd, you cannot sign your rights away. So signing papers is useless.