Pushing through the wall of fear

Cleanworks

Credits
Name
Ron Marriott
The journey of my business over the years has been well documented between the other forum and Mikey's board. I mainly did it to track my growth or failure, and to help others along the way. Hopefully this compliance thing helps other Ca guys in the future. I'm going to continue pushing.

Taking my new guy on a job at an assisted living facility today and also cleaning my Ex-Girlfriend's rental. My wife is thrilled.
At least you will be chaperoned. Never want to be alone with an ex.

Reactions: Nomad74

steve_64

Credits
We had forms for them to fill out and things like that. But in the end we were told we were possibly still open to the liability.
By that time we were qualified for workmans comp.

Glad I'm not in California.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Stephen
In AL there must be four or more employees (including you) to require worker’s comp.
Does CA actually require that your man be covered? If so, then that just blows goats. If not, perhaps your liability insurance can include him or any other temp.

Be careful not to let the total cost of employment rise above the benefit. There is a long training period if this is your first. It shortens as you gain experience teaching.

Damon I firmly believe you have the heart and drive to teach, elevate others and be a success. Just be methodical and never admit where the bodies are, hahaha!

Cleanworks

Credits
Name
Ron Marriott
Interesting to see the different regs in different localities. Here I'm not required by law to have workmans comp but if I don't then I'm responsible for any injuries that any employees incur. When bidding on commercial jobs, the first thing they want to see is proof of insurance and workers comp. No comp, no job.

Reactions: steve_64

Andy

Credits
Name
Andrew
Treat him like a sub contractor for now and have him sign some papers saying so.
Don't!! If you get busted you will be penalized and have to pay all SS not just half. If you are wanting a subcontractor you will need to find a person that has their own business, equipment and is free to market it.

Reactions: rider0992

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
Don't!! If you get busted you will be penalized and have to pay all SS not just half. If you are wanting a subcontractor you will need to find a person that has their own business, equipment and is free to market it.
Looks like I found Comp for $3k per year. I should be binded Monday. That is a huge relief! Still not sure until I hear for sure, but looks good.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Credits
Name
John Stewart
Looks like I found Comp for $3k per year. I should be binded Monday. That is a huge relief! Still not sure until I hear for sure, but looks good.
Workers comp insurance is usually based on your payroll costs. The 3k might just be a down payment or miminum fee. Each year your insurance company will audit your records to be sure you are paying the correct amount.
Have fun.

sOOper hero

Number 5
Credits
Name
Larry Capitoni
i'd get rid of that uglyazz year El Camino first
Then the boat with a new engine
then that Jap bike that's neither a good mud slinger nor road bike

and chics dig Harleys .....😎

..L.T.A.

SamIam

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
sam miller
I warned you- employees are expensive in CA.
Ya my guy alone cost my 6k a year in workman’s comp insurance.

But if he flies solo and does a 120k on one truck and I pay him 35k I still do all right.

Last year we avg 150k a truck. But with my two knuckle dragger helpers quitting my workman’s comp
Is down, and if I do 50k less I’ll still do better.

Reactions: rick imby

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
Lastly Damon have him vacuum and crb, when you hit a vacant put a wand in his hands.

Watching someone do a job and doing it, will weed out the men from the boys.
He’s dying to get on the wand. I won’t let him do it until I have my comp in place. Had him encap a chair today and encapped some cgd. Then let him run the crb and wind up hoses on a second job today.

His car broke down this morning and he still showed up on time. Good sign, I think. I make him listen to Rush Limbaugh while we’re driving around.

Last edited:
Credits
Name
Matt Ross
I say go for it. You will see a small loss of profit for a time. But long term you know it will can be very beneficial.
Many "boss's" whine about their employees but are terrible managers. Plan ahead for your training. Teach principles-dont micromanage. Be consistent.
You will end up having more time for your family and things that matter alot more than work.

Radar Foster

Mr Personality
Credits
Name
Fred Boyle
Treat him like a sub contractor for now and have him sign some papers saying so. Get a photo of his drivers license and document his pay. It won't cover you completely but its a start until you get the workmams comp. Shop around.

Its worth it once you get things in place. In texting this as Riley and Cameron are doing my job. Once I get them trained better I can stay home again.
Have you actually talked to your atty or accountant about this practice

It's not legal and you can get jammed up

Do whatever you want, but please refrain from offering guys bad advice

steve_64

Credits
I remember our current accountant telling us about the SS. It was after we got the work mans comp.
We were trying to set others up to be contractors. Had a hard time getting people to follow through. We were doing what others were doing for us.

steve_64

Credits

Our current accountant has been helping us more than anyone else has. Wish we found her sooner.

I was only trying to help. But I will refrain for you Fred.

Maybe a some folks learned something I did.

steve_64

Credits
So am I

In Damon’s example you are providing bad advice

Do whatever the hell you want IDHAS
I wasn't telling him not to get work mans comp. He's taking a guy out with nothing. I hope he got a photo copy of the license and his SS number at least.

I wasn't qualified for work mans comp when I first tried to get it. I was turned down by several companies because I didn't make enough or didn't have enough employees.

I should have posed my comment as a question not a statement like I did. I will work on that too.
Congrats on pushing forward Damon. You won't regret having employees.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radar Foster

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits

I should have everything squared up by Monday. I think I put the cart before the horse a bit. Lesson learned. Get your comp and payroll set up before you hire. We agreed the first week was an "interview" week.

Papa John

Credits
Name
John Stewart
Damon-- I mean this in the kindest way possible-- But I believe Its too soon for you to hire someone. your revenue isnt high enough yet.
Are you prepare to earn less money for the next 6 months or so until this guy can work on his own.

I feel like im watching a horror movie, yelling at the murder's next victim--- Run Damon! Run! Protect your self..--
Ofer, Me, and i think Zee dont have employees. Even Mikey dosent have employees in NV.
But i hope you prove me wrong-- good luck.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
Damon-- I mean this in the kindest way possible-- But I believe Its too soon for you to hire someone. your revenue isnt high enough yet.
Are you prepare to earn less money for the next 6 months or so until this guy can work on his own.

I feel like im watching a horror movie, yelling at the murder's next victim--- Run Damon! Run! Protect your self..--
Ofer, Me, and i think Zee dont have employees. Even Mikey dosent have employees in NV.
But i hope you prove me wrong-- good luck.
Thanks. I mean that. I'm cleaning sometimes 6 jobs a day right now and it's killing me. My referral marketing is working and as I offer more services the word continues to spread. I have a bigger picture in mind but I can't get there by doing nothing. I'm already maxed out on what I can do alone, constantly turning down jobs because I can't get them scheduled. My goal is to get myself off the van and turn my business into a simi-passive income generating asset, not a job and liability. I have a second van sitting in my side yard that is ready for a crew. I'm stomping and kicking right now punching myself to the next phase. It's time. You can say "I told you so" if I fail. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

I got a cold this week and it slowed me down. It reminded me I need to have the ability to keep my business going if I fall down some stairs. It's scary for me to think about everything stopping because I got the flu.

Look what Mikey did in Santa Cruz, look what Joe Appleby and Jerry Valentine in the Bay Area have done, and many more. Russell's Carpet Cleaning here in Redding has 5 vans and we also have a Stinky Steemer operation with multiple vans. My buddy Alex has two vans going here now. I keep getting more new property management clients and larger buildings. I have enough commercial and PM work where I can put chimps on them, while I schmooze the higher end residential clients and keep marketing myself. I think I have my own unique set of obstacles to push through such as living in a more rural area, and living in California. I feel like if I can make this work out, I've beat the odds. Because of that, I welcome the challenge. It almost feels like a Monopoly game to me. I'm on the board and moving my pieces. I'm honored to even be playing.

If I need to launch an ridiculous 30k flier EDDM campaign with $150 whole house specials to keep my guys working, I'll do it. I know how to make it happen if needed. Currently I'm enjoying my customer base and my $200 minimum. But if the storm clouds start looming i'm flexible enough to swallow my pride and go for the jugular.

Last edited:

Papa John

Credits
Name
John Stewart
If 6 jobs a day-- then u need help. But you stated that your revenue was about 5k/month. Seems your revenue should be must higher.
And joe Appleby is a beast who I admire. I just dont have it in me to be like him.. I became satisfied at a lower/ simplier level then him.
Good luck..

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
If 6 jobs a day-- then u need help. But you stated that your revenue was about 5k/month. Seems your revenue should be must higher.
And joe Appleby is a beast who I admire. I just dont have it in me to be like him.. I became satisfied at a lower/ simplier level then him.
Good luck..
I think you're quoting last February. It's been much higher since letting my girl go. Granted some weeks are slower than others, but this February has been nuts. I even questioned myself about hiring right now, but things continue to be busy. Like I said earlier in another post, I can't put my finger on in, but things are going in a good direction. The only signs of slowing down are within me, and I'm pushing through that.