Pushing through the wall of fear

steve_64

Credits
Whether he compensates them or not he and any property owners where an accident occurs can be held liable.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Doug Cox
I've always considered growing but have always come to my senses. I couldn't see hiring a helper if I was making 15-20k per month. Any increase in income would be eaten up by costs.

clean image

Credits
Name
Carl Maddock
I need to add ....

In FL, you have probation period of 90 days. during this time if new employee does not wotk out, you can let hime/her go without consequense of your state unemployement( now called reemployment) tax going up..

get ready for workmans comp audits. I have 4 quartelys and a yearly to do as well.
state payroll audits ....(just finished one that took over 3months )

You will be fine. this is growing pains/pleasures and you you need the adversity to grow. Get out of the funk...

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
I gave him 45min. Not taxting or calling him. Not my job to babysit and make sure he can show up on time. Maybe if it was a trusted employee with months of loyal service. But on day three, you’re gone.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

RELENTLESS
Credits
Name
Prince
I gave him 45min. Not taxting or calling him. Not my job to babysit and make sure he can show up on time. Maybe if it was a trusted employee with months of loyal service. But on day three, you’re gone.
He could have called or texted any excuse. We always had guys that had trouble making it 5 days in a row. If they worked a big job Saturday you could be sure they were sick Monday.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
How old is this guy?

What were his last two jobs?

Are you offering more compensation than Stanley?
$12 an hr with raises to $15 and commission once trained. He’s 27.

Too bad too. I’m on a big high end job now. It would have been nice for him.

Last edited:

Radar Foster

Mr Personality
Credits
Name
Fred Boyle
All due respect

I think you are expecting way too much for far too little, are they getting bumped to $15 after a few weeks, months? Years?

An 8 hour day cleaning for $96 ?

Are you intending on guaranteeing a minimum amount of hours?

You'd be scrapping the bottom of the barrel at that price point here...

And yes it's a price point, you are purchasing employees time

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
All due respect

I think you are expecting way too much for far too little, are they getting bumped to $15 after a few weeks, months? Years?

An 8 hour day cleaning for $96 ?

Are you intending on guaranteeing a minimum amount of hours?

You'd be scrapping the bottom of the barrel at that price point here...

And yes it's a price point, you are purchasing employees time
$15 is good money in this area. Plus 15% commissions on every job once trained. Seriously, i only had him vacuum, wind up some hoses, and encap a chair. That was too much for him?

On to the next. I’ll burn through 100 if i must. Im not starting anyone out at $20 an hour. People want money handed to them on a silver platter. Im not going to do that. Show me you’re worth it first.

Fred, what numbers are you thinking?

Last edited:
Reactions: rider0992

Radar Foster

Mr Personality
Credits
Name
Fred Boyle
$15 seems like a fair start in your described market if it’s perceived as “good money”

I think raises after training should be clearly defined and weekly hourly minimums known so the person has a clear idea of what they can earn

$20 an hour is no good if the hours fluctuate and are too low some weeks.

Welcome to the jungle, wait until you train your first stud and he goes out on his own and becomes a competitor

This biz is savage some times

rider0992

Credits
Name
Kenny Hayes
Dudes, you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill. Find a helper first. Then crunch, but push through. You can’t go on forever without help. You can judge on the fly🤷🏼‍♂️