Pushing through the wall of fear

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
Ok, here is the Temp Agency's rates. Does this seem about right? Feels a bit high to me. On the flip side, I don't need to get comp because they cover it.

rider0992

Credits
Name
Kenny Hayes
You’re gonna pay a premium for labor from labor agency. In Okla., the cost
of a 12 per hr. employee would be approx. $3.96 per hr. So, the agency is collecting approx.$4 per hr.🤷🏻‍♂️ It’s called temporary labor, you have to decide how temporary you want it to be.

sOOper hero

Number 5
Credits
Name
Larry Capitoni
Last I used them, I “think” it was a flat $7 bukz over whatever hourly rate was

If $10 an hour to worker, I paid agency $17
$20 an hour = $27

..L.T.A.

Brian H

Credits
Name
Brian H
I tried a few times using a temp agency a long time ago with another company. I don't remember the cost versus what the worker made. My only recollection is that sometimes they showed up and sometimes they didn't. And when they did show up, they weren't anyone you would want to represent your company.

There is a reason a person works as a temp for an agency instead of just getting a regular job somewhere.

rider0992

Credits
Name
Kenny Hayes
Since I don’t do residential, that wasn’t as great of a concern for me as it probably would be for you that do residential. I hired temps to mop floors
in commercial buildings🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
Im using a guy I found. The temp agency is handeling all the Ca compliant bullcrap for me.

I’m scratching my head @Mikey P that you think I’m stubborn. This is all new territory for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: rider0992

rider0992

Credits
Name
Kenny Hayes
Damon, keep going. The fact of the matter is, you need help. I can’t believe you’ve made it this far without help. Keep looking for the right person. My god man, use your wife if you need to🤷🏻‍♂️😂
I abused mine for 30 yrs.

Radar Foster

Mr Personality
Credits
Name
Fred Boyle
Temp agency might be a good way to start

You can cycle through people and get a feel for having an employee

I wouldn’t be insulted by Mikes comment, employees are a necessary evil most of the time , especially when you have no desire to grow beyond a 1-2 operati

Reactions: Nomad74

Cleanworks

Credits
Name
Ron Marriott
I tried a few times using a temp agency a long time ago with another company. I don't remember the cost versus what the worker made. My only recollection is that sometimes they showed up and sometimes they didn't. And when they did show up, they weren't anyone you would want to represent your company.

There is a reason a person works as a temp for an agency instead of just getting a regular job somewhere.
I worked at a temp agency once. Time of my life I didn't know what I wanted to do or where I wanted to live. Best job they gave me was at a lumber company disassembling test items. After 6 weeks the company wanted to hire me full time. I declined. Big mistake, I could have been retired now with a great pension.

Reactions: Mikey P

steve_64

Credits
I worked at a temp agency once. Time of my life I didn't know what I wanted to do or where I wanted to live. Best job they gave me was at a lumber company disassembling test items. After 6 weeks the company wanted to hire me full time. I declined. Big mistake, I could have been retired now with a great pension.
You made Brian's point.

Reactions: Brian H and Mikey P

sOOper hero

Number 5
Credits
Name
Larry Capitoni
they're no more or less good or bad than anyone looking for a $12 hour job

anyone not currently working, applying for a $12 an hour physical work job is a kid out of high school or some kind of dysfunctional somehow some way

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Donwand and Nomad74
Credits
Name
Eli Rodriguez
I'm getting pretty discouraged. Between setting up payroll, Ca workmans comp insurance, w-4's, I-9's, and then finding a guy. I'm really frustrated right now. The first quote for comp insurance was $2,400 a year. Then the agent just called me and told me State Farm can't write me because they only issue comp on businesses that have had it for 2+ years. So they referred me to Statefund. Called them and was told I can only go through the website. I asked the lady then what was the point of her even answering the phone.

Got through the statefund site and the quote came in at $2,700. I also have my Farmers agent working on a quote for me. The first one he gave me was $7,600 a year. I'm really aggravated right now. How the **** do people run a business in this damn state with employees!

I may just stay a small one man show.
Out of curiosity. How do your weeks go? Do you have consistent work back to back?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
Out of curiosity. How do your weeks go? Do you have consistent work back to back?
I stay pretty constant. I'm like everyone else. I have my slower times, cancellations, and reschedules that create holes in my day. I have enough commercial and PM that keep me steady through the slow times. I try to schedule things so they line up in a steady stream of work, using the PM to fill the gaps.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
Everything so far seems to be falling into place. I think last week there was a little miscommunication on when he should show up. Honestly, I don't know, but if there was a chance I wasn't clear, I don't want to fire the guy over it. I guess he though we didn't have work on Monday and was under the impression I would call him and let him know. He said he got a little confused when I started ranting about the night work coming up and thought I was telling him to only show up for that. Whatever the case, we had a good talk and are on the same page now. Lesson for me, people can't read my mind. Everyday since, he has shown up on time. I told him we start at 8:15am. I arrive at the shop at 8:05 and he's been there sitting on the ground by the entrance door.

So far he seems to be a fast learner and willing to jump into things. He likes to fall asleep in the van between jobs. I'm calling him Sleepy Smurf. If he continues to show good progress and is able to start wanding somewhat well by the end of next week, i'll bump his pay and continue to do so as he progresses.

After we cleaned a couple of wool rugs, he went home that night and watched all my youtube videos, other cleaning videos, and a bunch of rug videos. I was really impressed with that. He came back the next day with all sorts of questions and suggestions. One being, "We really need to buy a rug badger".

As far as the legal side goes, I decided not to do the HR temp service to handle my paperwork. That 65% was just a little too much to dish out. I'm really not looking for a temp guy. I'm looking to build and want people for the long haul. I found a bookkeeping service that will handle all the payroll stuff at a reasonable price. I also found "affordable" comp insurance.

Now I need to concentrate on slowing down and training this guy correctly. It's easy to pass on the bad habits. I may even buy a tarp today.

Last edited:

rider0992

Credits
Name
Kenny Hayes
Omg, that tribe is legion!!😂😂 He’s either one of my former employees that kept moving west, or that’s his first cousin😂😂 One week, and they’re making suggestions and telling you what equipment you need to buy with
#yourmoney!!🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
Omg, that tribe is legion!!😂😂 He’s either one of my former employees that kept moving west, or that’s his first cousin😂😂 One week, and they’re making suggestions and telling you what equipment you need to buy with
#yourmoney!!🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂
I agree, but I didn't really want to go there. But since you opened that door, here I go.

I call it the "Good Idea Syndrome". Every newb has it. In my rental property days I used to tell my new employees, "Just do what I tell you and keep your good ideas to yourself. I don't wan't want to hear your good ideas".

I didn't take that approach with this guy. I'm trying to be a more patient and understanding Damon. Not the slave driver i've been known to be in the past. Yes, I was grinding my teeth as he was telling me all about the rug badger and how we could build a wash pit. I just sat there and smiled. I was impressed though that he had the initiative to do a little research on his own.

The Lurk

Credits
Name
Trip Moses
I agree, but I didn't really want to go there. But since you opened that door, here I go.

I call it the "Good Idea Syndrome". Every newb has it. In my rental property days I used to tell my new employees, "Just do what I tell you and keep your good ideas to yourself. I don't wan't want to hear your good ideas".

I didn't take that approach with this guy. I'm trying to be a more patient and understanding Damon. Not the slave driver i've been known to be in the past. Yes, I was grinding my teeth as he was telling me all about the rug badger and how we could build a wash pit. I just sat there and smiled. I was impressed though that he had the initiative to do a little research on his own.
Down South when someone is rambling on about whatever, we just say, “That’s nice”.
It’s polite for STFU.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Credits
Just for shits, I did a CL search for a used Rug Badger. I came up with this.