Put Your Pride Aside...

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
And answer truthfully.

What is one thing you are doing wrong in your business?

The biggest thing, the shocker...if it isn't that bad....what is it anyway?

:?:

K

Kabluey

I am proud to admit i have done alot of wrong things, bad ideas and so on. But the point of it all is I found alot of good ways NOT to do something.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Kabluey said:
I am proud to admit i have done alot of wrong things, bad ideas and so on. But the point of it all is I found alot of good ways NOT to do something.

But is there something now?

bmas

not charging enough and not getting rid of bad customers when I should

dgargan

I have become to complacent. I have not motivated myself yet to move on to the next level. I finally got off the truck and things are running so smooth that I end up only working about 20 hours a week. I think this is a dangerous place to be and I need to move on and take things up a notch.

Not buying a V/AT. Seriously if I could get one on the cheap I could do quite well. One of the guys that helps me used to own his own diesel mechanic shop. He is a freakin wiz. I asked him why he quit. He said working on trucks sucked and he got tired of people breaking into his shop and stealing his tools. If I needed service on the truck, he would do it cheap.

Ok without the big truck I do fine. I just think it would be cool to work with one. I have the accounts to make it work. I am sure I would pick up a few more.

Chris A

Name
Chris
waiting too long to hire, waiting too long on most major financial decisions.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Good for you for admitting that Chris. I would say mine is the opposite, waiting too long to fire in some cases. It is tough when I like someone to let them go even though their lack of drive or competence may be sending a bad signal to others in the company. I have gotten better at that but still need to work on it.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Ken Snow said:
... waiting too long to fire in some cases. It is tough when I like someone to let them go even though their lack of drive or competence may be sending a bad signal to others in the company.

Wow, Ken, I am with you on this one. I was sooooo guilty of this business sin.

Island Boy
SFS.JonDon.com

PS Someone told me years ago, "It isn't the people you hire that become the problem. It is the employees you DON'T FIRE." And one of Nick Paolella's favorite sayings is, "I find people smarter than me and stand back. My mission is to have fun in life and if I am surrounded by marginal people I'm not going to have fun!" Very true words ...

I would also agree with the majority who have posted here- the #1 mistake in our industry is not charging enough to cover the TRUE cost of doing business PLUS make a good profit. This not only condemns the bulk of carpet cleaners out there to at best a middle class existence. (Of course, I'm not referring here to any MB members.) Even worse, not charging enough means you will never show any serious amount of "Owner's Adjusted Cash Flow" so then your business will only be worth the liquidation value of the equipment and we all know how much used truck mounts are going for these days!

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
delaying most decisions. could be paperwork, hiring, or firing. most problems do go away or get solved but the cost for procrastion is great.

P.S. Steve, good to hear from you!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
It is really good to see guys like Adkins and Norms businesses thriving and the biggest problem is taking too long to grow. That is awesome

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Greg Crowley said:
It is really good to see guys like Adkins and Norms businesses thriving and the biggest problem is taking too long to grow. That is awesome
I agree, Greg. Steady, sustained growth isn't nearly as exciting as an "overnight success story" but go back ten years ago in Inc. magazine and read some of their profiles on the hot, new players. Then see how many of these hot-shot companies are still around!

Steve
SFS.JonDon.com

PS There is a lot to be said for just plodding along with solid, unspectacular gains, especially in the middle of a major recession. Come to thing of it- I'd say just SURVIVING the last three or four years is pretty "spectacular" in itself!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have become to complacent. I have not motivated myself yet to move on to the next level. I finally got off the truck and things are running so smooth that I end up only working about 20 hours a week. I think this is a dangerous place to be and I need to move on and take things up a notch.
Me too, I'm in too much of a comfort zone.

I get excited about little projects but I need to get motivated again, Dave pegged it's a dangerous place to be in.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I think the one thing I'm doing wrong is spreading myself too thin...I pulled back a lot on that but then started another venture that took a little bit away from the bread and butter.

I just can't sit still.

Oh, and I spend way too much time on Mikey's :mrgreen:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Doc Holliday said:
I get excited about little projects but I need to get motivated again ...
Richard,
This sounds like problem common to middle-aged men. Maybe the missus could help you resolve this "personal issue"? (Not that I would know anything about this stuff.)

Island Boy
SFS.JonDon.com

PS Seriously, if the owner is not excited about their business how can they expect their employees to be committed to growing the company?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Getting excited about your business while in pit is as easy as getting a new wand or a new computer...sometimes....other times it takes a major change.

The idea is to keep moving, changing...even if it's just a little.

The guys who have been doing it the same way for 20 years either love what they do or they're doing it wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom