Question about low moisture methods- sensitivities

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I have a client that has extreme sensitivity to fragrances and chemicals. I have a soln I can use for HWE that she won't react to. Its a weaker soln so I will be compensating by longer dwell time and good agitation.

I was wondering about the Alternative methods.
I know HOST and other dry powders carry a fragrance. A fair bit of that powder is also left in the carpet.

Do the Bonnet solutions and shampoos have/leave a significant fragrance that sensitive people may react to?

Scott Rogers

You can use any of the soap free product to VLM with, (Procyon-element 8- mstr blend soap free etc.etc).

Vacuum well, Spray your soap free product a little heavy in the necessary areas and let dwell ( spots, in front of sofa, main traffic area of hall, etc.) use a very light spray in the cleaner areas use a wetter then normal pad after spraying the carpet then follow up with a dry pad. this will leave the least amount of solution in the carpet. Groom or post vac carpet and you should be good to go

But to answer your question, Yes most VLM solutions have a scent to them. personally I cant stand the smell of abstraction or any of the products that have it in the mix such as encap green, but it does a good job cleaning and removing tough odors.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I've had a couple customers warn me of their extreme sensitivities to chemical odors but they didn't notice any problem when I used my usual Grease Eraser prespray with the fresh water rinse. Just have them stay out of the room when you apply it and while it is atomized for a few minutes.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Procyon would be the way to go if you ask me. No odor, works really well.

Peroxcellent has a pleasant odor but you know how people can be.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Thanks for pointing that out Richard...I fixed it. Sorry folks but it's case quantities only on the Surround, but I will give a credit equal to your shipping charges on any Surround Product ordered today.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
This client is almost paranoid about any odours, even telling her that after rinsing it will all be removed, that there will be extremely little odour left and that once the house air exchanges there will be nothing left. O2 was too strong for her. Mentioning that there would be a powder residue would be enough to make her hesitate, even if you told her it was inert.

I'm going to write a page about sensitivities for my website, blog if I get one going, &/or Facebook page.
I want it to be accurate, not be like some idiots that post dumb videos on Youtube.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ron those can be tough clients to please.

We will bend over backwards for a good client but some of these hyper sensitive customers scare me. Last thing I want is to send someone to the emergency room.

We've cleaned some with just hot water, no chems,the carpet looks better but certainly not what I would suggest as a through cleaning.

We've also passed on a few people that just sounded like they wanted to be a problem.

Most of those calls I ask them if they are bothered by laundry detergents, because most of our cleaning solutions are built along similar lines. If they are bothered by laundry detergents then I at least know there are real sensitivities there.

This group of people can be good customers, we have a few, but they can also be a problem if not handled correctly. Be cautious, don't over state what a product can do, dry it fast, and if possible have them out of the home for the day, not returning until the carpet is dry.

Ron K

Ask the customer what they use for other cleaning in their house. Vinegar, Laundry Product, or whatever product they USE. Then use it. Of course use common sense. Maybe just a little in a pump-up sprayer then a clear water rinse. I have found that a lot of chemically sensitive people are also sensitive to the higher cost of special cleaning too! But some are appreciative of your additional concern and will pay for it too!

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
A list of products with zero smell.. and work especielly well for people with chemical sensitivities... this a standard question I ask every customer.

Planet guard TLC and Rinse
Soap Free by masterblend
Procyon
Oxygen Release by Pro's choice

and for odor.. Masterlend's anti allergen deoderizer is super effective.. and no odor.

For those heavy, heavy soiling areas and still need to be conservative.. Enzall has zero solvency, and works very well on soiled carpet. It has a super low smell to it.. prequalify with customer.

Also you can always kick the notch of the no odor presprays up with an oxidizer like Hydrogen Peroxide or sodium percarbonate.

I've never tried it, but apparently Grandslam (prochem ultrapac) has an odor free choice. You could always give that a try.. or a smell.

-JB-

Name
JB
yeah, cause dirty carpets are soooo much healthier. Ivebeensold

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I've covered a lot of those flags.
She knows its not a cheap job and she knows that because I'll be using weaker cleaners that the carpet may not clean up as well as it could.

Thats a great idea asking about what other cleaners are used in the house.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Ron like above I ask what they clean their clothes with and pretreat with a mild solution and then fresh water rinse.

gene

Grant D

The best "no odor" solution I've ever used is Vacaway's Quantum Green. I use this whenever people have asthma, severe allergies, etc. Can be used with HWE or low moisture methods.

Back
Top Bottom