Question about waste tank gasket

hogjowl

Idiot™
No, the best way is an electric drill with a stout wire brush on it. After you get the bulk if it off, you then can then can take paint thinner or mineral of spirits and coat the residual patches and putty knife them off.

Make sure to clean the tank top with detergent and let it dry before putting the new gasket on.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
And what's the best glue to hold it together after it has separated?

Tried a million things...

The Clean Machine

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Marty,
I thought you were going to recommend sand blasting.

The gasket material that we use in a self adhesive that you peel off. as long a the surface is relatively smooth and clean it will stick.
You could us a gasket with out adhesive as long as you never lift the lid.

Reactions: dealtimeman

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I just did this for the first time as I usually have my suppliers mechanic do it. I had to do it quickly because we never go in our dump tank as we use a in-line filter so rarely go in there. Noticed I lost some vacuum & heat and the gasket had some cracks in it.

So I called my supplier and they insist that you have to use their special glue/epoxy and it takes 24 hours to cure but I want to fix this ASAP.

So I simply scraped it off with a big blade made for removing glue off subsurface and then used Dremel tool with wire brush and clean it up. Wipe down real thoroughly and simply used 100% waterproof gorilla glue and it has worked perfect!

The best part is my vacuums completely back and so is my heat being a heat exchange system.
8a8u2una.jpg

hogjowl

Idiot™
Marty,
I thought you were going to recommend sand blasting.

The gasket material that we use in a self adhesive that you peel off. as long a the surface is relatively smooth and clean it will stick.
You could us a gasket with out adhesive as long as you never lift the lid.

I probably use the same thing you do. It never comes off easily with a putty knife. The tank top needs to be properly cleaned from all residue.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
a 3M rotary 2" scotch-bright pad is what ya need.....
clean afterwards wit acetone

Theres a difference between an open cell insulation strip and
closed cell gasket material.........

Last edited:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
if you let the solvent soak and dwell a bit it works well with the putty knife. id rather let the solvent do most of the work instead of me in a hot ass van or box scrapping the old gasket off working up a sweat.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Best gasket material I've found is grey, closed-cell, anti-fatigue floor mat at Lowes. About 1/2" thick, 30" wide x whatever length you want to cut off the roll. Cover the whole inside of the tank lid. Glue with Gorilla. Lasts 24+ months.

spotman123

Name
Wayne foster
I got excellent results with my multi purpose tool with the vibrating blade. Amazed with how fast the glue came off.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Scrape off , followed by a flapper on a grinder. Take some black polyurethane used for roof repair or window caulking. Put a nice bead around and cover with wax paper. Press the lid down. It will probably never come off and it won't leak.

Gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom