Question for chemist types

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
Up in Porter Ranch a couple of thousand people where evacuated due to a natural gas leak. We just got the first call of a homeowner that just went back and the cant stand the smell in the home. I have been reading about mercaptans and other chemicals that are added to the gas so that we can detected it and all I can think that will work to remove this type of smell are oxidizers. Mercaptans contain sulfur so maybe the skunk cleaner formula will work in this case? Anyone out there has any experience with this?
Thank you for your responses.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm wondering if oxidizers work, maybe a better treatment would be ozonation. The people will be out of their homes for maybe for another 1-2 days but if it works, you won't have to deal with any deodorizer residue. You need to match the right size of machine with the square footage or the home. Fans on low will help to distribute the ozone. I did a skunk odor a few years ago, a skunk let go right outside a fresh air intake on a house as well as the dog running through the house. I fogged with a skunk deo but the people couldn't stand the deo so I ozonated after the fact. Came out great. Used 2 oasis machines for 30 hours.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Going to need more than just carpet cleaning. The ozone machine sounds like a better choice.

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
Customer when back to temporary lodging so I haven't been there yet. My guess it's that it all smells since they could not stay at the home. I agree with you Richard that maybe the whole thing needs to be wiped down and all fabrics cleaned before ozone treatment. But with what type of product?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think your normal smoke cleaning solution. A basic degreaser for cleaning with a little odor counteractant to freshen up the surface. I'm guessing the cleaner will do most of the work. Then Ozone to finish off the air space and leave a neutral indistinguishable environment.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom