Question for Ruggies

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
I need to stored 2 wool rugs for a customer for a year.
What is the best way to do this?
Should I moth ball them?
Thank You for your responses. Luis

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Wash the rug thoroughly. Use Masterblend REPEL as the insect repellant. Wrap in Tyvek paper. ELEVATE it on a shelf (just in case the area ever floods - always nice to have it up off the ground.)

What we charge is $4 per sq ft to wet wash, $25 each (if small) or $50 if large - to repel, $10 a package. If they pay for the work when it's done, offer one month storage for free, and then $35 a month (up to 120 sq ft of rugs) for storage.

Hope that helps,
Lisa

Lisa I have a rug in storage. What does applying Repel entail? What if the rug has been protected?

I could call the customer and get the ok to mothproof her rug? That is something I have never done.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
danielc said:
Lisa I have a rug in storage. What does applying Repel entail? What if the rug has been protected?

I could call the customer and get the ok to mothproof her rug? That is something I have never done.

Careful with the term "mothproof" as that implies using a pesticide, and killing something, which you would require a license to do - at least in the US, as far as pest control. We talk about "insect repellant" so we don't have clients thinking we are putting poison on their textiles.

You can mist Repel on both side. We usually put it in the final rinse to penetrate the entire rug - but since the rug is already clean - misting works.

Masterblend makes the product. Be careful to not inhale as you spray.

Lisa

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Paper or any Tyvek type of product will work. Tyvek is more resistant to tearing but a lot more expensive than paper.

You want to keep the rug up off a concrete floor because moisture coming through the concrete will help the rug develop dry rot. Doesn't matter if the customer says the floor never gets wet, always have some insulation or air space between the stored rug and a ground level concrete floor.

Repel is a laundry sour that makes the wool taste bad enough that moth and beetle larva won't eat it. Safe for kids or pets that like to chew on rugs, although it will probably taste bad to them as well.

If someone has chewed on a treated rug please let us know how it was.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom