Question for Shawn

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Steven;

30W non-detergent oil is fine for the pump, but way to thin for the blower.

Use a good synthetic lube in the blower, since it will last for at least a year and cost under $15.

Larry Cobb

Name
Lee Stockwell
30 wt will be fine until summer. ANY wt oil is better than low oil. Each manufacturer is leaning toward differentiating their product's lube requirements, and usually specifying their own "designer" brand oil.

Truth is, all are just gears turning in an oil bath and will work fine with a product that doesn't foam up. Ambient temperature conditions usually dictate higher viscosity for higher temperature situations. I think this should also be a consideration if sustained backpressure or high Hg is a design element of your system.

Thanks,
Lee

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Watch the synthetic oil for the blower. Most all synthetic motor oil is heavily fortified with detergent/dispersant additives, which if used in a PD blower can cause problems. You don't have combustion deposits, so their existence has little or no value for their intended purpose. Instead, it can cause foaming, which is deadly to the proper lubrication of a blower's gears and bearings.

For this reason, each of the blower manufacturers has formulated their own synthetic oil specifically designed for PD blowers, their heat characteristics, and particular viscosity requirements.

Pneulube, for Tuthill
Aeon PD, for Gardner Denver/Sutorbilt
And Roots also has a Synthetic oil for their units as well.

Do not use a competitive brand within the warranty period. Each of the above oils has slightly differing viscosity, which each respective manufacturer has stated the others will not satisfy their maintenance requirements. I know its dubious, but they can enforce the provision of the warranty requirement, if you ever have a problem. This is because of the viscosity difference, not simply because of the brand.

The 30 SAE weight non detergent is fine for the Hypro pump.

Name
Lee Stockwell
...however they CANNOT enforce a warranty claim over using another lubricant within the SAE range specified.

They may rant and threaten, but the only valid abuse is low oil, or NO oil.

Ford prefers Motorcraft, but they can't require it.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Shawn Forsythe said:
This is because of the viscosity difference, not simply because of the brand.

Didn't I just say that?

Good luck finding the matching viscosity in another brand(synthetic non-detergent, with the exacting viscosity demanded by each manufacturer). You may find it, and then find that the cost difference wasn't worth the trek.

Remember, if you choose to go synthetic, there is a specific ISO viscosity for each blower brand. There is probably no practical difference, other than the warranty specification.

Yes, the blower manufacturers are doing it to direct you to sales of their branded product, and yes you can use any brand, as long as it meets the spec. And yes, you may be able to find a suitable alternative. Will it cost you less in the long run? Probably not.

Why is this? Because if you don't value your time, then you should be using conventional oil.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Shawn you said two or three things, leaving the impression that BRAND was the most important issue. No problemo, we know who writes the checks.

:-)
Lee

PS Pneulube specs:
Viscosity Grade: ISO 100
Specific Gravity at 16o C (62o F): 0.859
Viscosity at 40o C (104o F): 91.8 cSt:
Viscosity at 100o C (212o F): 13.1 cSt:
Viscosity Index: 142

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
80 or 90Wt gearlube's been working for me! of course i haven't checked it in a few years......come to think of it i haven't checked my Hydra Cell.....at all!

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Lee,

I did some checking around. I found various alternatives of synthetic, that if purchased in 5 gallon pails, would have lowered the cost to the cleaners I sell to. However, if I then sold it in quantities suitable to these people(quarts), the cost then rises. Ultimately it became a non-issue. Because I was not going to spend 10-15 minutes, per customer, to convince them that the "off brand" was going to be just fine, and still be within warranty specs, only to save the customer a few measly dollars over a period of three years.

Always place the value of your customer's time, equal to, or more than your own. Even if you want to waste yours, don't waste his, unless he asks.

The percentage of stubborn cleaners who will spend dollars to save pennies is too small. Not worth it.

Bawb is a perfect candidate for conventional 80-90 wt gear oil. He doesn't value his tinkering time, a bit. He is one that would piss away dollars, while pinching a few pennies. Heck, he doesn't even fill his gas tank full because he doesn't want to invest that kind of money in a long term investment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom