Quityerbitchen

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
about paying $100 per hour at Jon Don for service. Was told by my brother in law that the Harley Dealer charges $190 per hour! Us carpet cleaners are getting a steal!
I don't care about what I've paid them in the past. I care about their quality of work they're delivering for what they're charging. JonDon is a very dishonest service business

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I don't care about what I've paid them in the past. I care about their quality of work they're delivering for what they're charging. JonDon is a very dishonest service business
The one you used or all?

Seems like a bit of an overstatement plurally speaking.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
Ive been taking my TM to Jon Don since I cant remember every year for annual maintenance. For a long time there was one guy who always worked on my machine. Yuri. I would travel 3 1/2 hours from Appleton to Chicago and wait in the conference room. In the beginning when he saw something that needed attention he would walk from the service department to the conference room and explain it to me. It got to the point where I trusted him enough that if he saw something, he just replaced or fixed it. Great relationship.

Have had other mechanics since then and only once did I have a bad experience.

So Id say thats a pretty good track record.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
It can be challenging to get, and to manage, truck mount repair mechanics.

Guys who can work on engines, high pressure pumps, and a variety of heating systems are rarely out there waiting for a job.

If you do find a neat, diligent, and helpful person who loves repair, you’ll be competing with automobile dealerships who pay some high wages.

Finding someone they wouldn’t hire often provides you with something less than above.

We’ve had some good people, and some flawed people, and done our best to manage them and give our customers good outcomes, but it can be a challenge.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The one you used or all?

Seems like a bit of an overstatement plurally speaking.
Ive been taking my TM to Jon Don since I cant remember every year for annual maintenance. For a long time there was one guy who always worked on my machine. Yuri. I would travel 3 1/2 hours from Appleton to Chicago and wait in the conference room. In the beginning when he saw something that needed attention he would walk from the service department to the conference room and explain it to me. It got to the point where I trusted him enough that if he saw something, he just replaced or fixed it. Great relationship.

Have had other mechanics since then and only once did I have a bad experience.

So Id say thats a pretty good track record.
It must be just the Atlanta location. Several bad experiences and dishonest pricing with what they charged
1.They almost ruined my everest by leaving the engine's water pump bolts loose, spraying antifreeze out and not properly tightening my oil filter, making oil run out the same time. I went over everything the jiffy lube mechanic supposedly worked on, and there were so many other bolts loose, including my blower, which ruined the belts.
-I have friend down here who had similar problems around the same time. (Left oil cap off)
2. They didn't know how to properly read fuel pressure between manual fuel gauge and electronic readings, therefore wasting $1600 in labor costs
3. dishonest pricing on parts (example: $26 per spark plug)

They were really good with the original owners and before their 2 lead techs left and started their own business. I gave them several chances

• Angry
Reactions: SamIam

hogjowl

Idiot™
Had to have been worse people. I never said anything to him personally. All my contacts were with the owner. This mechanic only knew there was a problem because he had to redo it three times. He’s probably still thinking he fixed it on the third try (wrong) because it stopped coming back.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
It must be just the Atlanta location. Several bad experiences and dishonest pricing with what they charged
1.They almost ruined my everest by leaving the engine's water pump bolts loose, spraying antifreeze out and not properly tightening my oil filter, making oil run out the same time. I went over everything the jiffy lube mechanic supposedly worked on, and there were so many other bolts loose, including my blower, which ruined the belts.
-I have friend down here who had similar problems around the same time. (Left oil cap off)
2. They didn't know how to properly read fuel pressure between manual fuel gauge and electronic readings, therefore wasting $1600 in labor costs
3. dishonest pricing on parts (example: $26 per spark plug)

They were really good with the original owners and before their 2 lead techs left and started their own business. I gave them several chances
That sucks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Look on the outskirts of town for farm equipment mechanics. They often have knowledge of PTO equipment, pumps and even blowers at times. Plus, they always have a good supply of duct tape and baling wire.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Look on the outskirts of town for farm equipment mechanics. They often have knowledge of PTO equipment, pumps and even blowers at times. Plus, they always have a good supply of duct tape and baling wire.

Guys who worked on farms or have family that do never come in for service.

Miners are about the same.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
I’m chiming in wery wery quiet for fear my machine might hear this….ive done 99% of all maintenance and repairs to my machine mostly local parts from a little here a little over there and sometimes send away for parts. Now waste tank, built 2003, needs replacement… literally using duck tape to hold it together til local welder on wheels custom builds one 2nd week of October.

Anyone familiar with duck tape? Its gotten me out of a few jams to finish the job.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Jeff T
Miners are about the same
I’ve got a heavy duty me mechanic shop across from my shop. It’s where they repair all the F450-F550 trucks that the mechanics in the field work out of for the mining industry, and repair the BIG iron…

Let’s put it this way, I do NOT want Carson’s job!!! ( the dude that manages the shop)…

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Another criteria to work on truck mounts:

The ability to step over cleaning tools, chemical jugs, sprayers, and all other forms of impedimentia.

Add to that the need to squeeze between seats and equipment consoles and reach into the maze of hoses and wires that make up many of the top brand units.

Plus sized men with ham hands have some challenges

Mikey P

Administrator
about paying $100 per hour at Jon Don for service. Was told by my brother in law that the Harley Dealer charges $190 per hour! Us carpet cleaners are getting a steal!
What do you have to pay your Harley dealer to do with that thing ?that's what I love about my KLR do all the maintenance myself and then some

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
What do you have to pay your Harley dealer to do with that thing

"have to" and "rather pay" to have done are two different things.

rear tire change on a bagger is a PITA that many don't want to fook with
PITA on mine too but well worth pulling it to save $200 in labor

my local indi will mount and balance for $25.
Don't know what dealership charges

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
"have to" and "rather pay" to have done are two different things.

rear tire change on a bagger is a PITA that many don't want to fook with
PITA on mine too but well worth pulling it to save $200 in labor

my local indi will mount and balance for $25.
Don't know what dealership charges

..L.T.A.
I need to watch a video on that process

Can it be done roadside, assuming those baggers have center stands?

sassyotto

Name
Paul

The ability to step over cleaning tools, chemical jugs, sprayers, and all other forms of impedimentia.

Add to that the need to squeeze between seats and equipment consoles and reach into the maze of hoses and wires that make up many of the top brand units.

absolutely! Plus I remember the days with the older Prochem machines where I had to make tools to fit inside the machine so I could do regular maintenance.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

I discovered that many years ago when I was pulling a trailer with my old prochem legend. From that point on, I always cleaned out my recovery tank and removed my clutter of tools, buckets, accessories to give the mechanic plenty of room to work on the machine. I even removed the front middle seat in my spare van to give them room to sit to work on the right side of my machine if it ever gets in their shop again

I try so hard to give them the best work environment with written detail of everything that's needed to make their job more efficient. But in the reality...they're nothing more than Jiffy lube mechanic idiots

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Can it be done roadside, assuming those baggers have center stands?

with enough tools...

No center stand, and wouldn't do any good with one.
Think I had to have mine up appx 5" off the ground to drop and tilt wheel enough to clear the fender and out.
I'm "guessing" it wouldn't be much different on a Gold Wing or most any bagger or big cruiser??
...and no clue what it takes for shaft drive

Many (most?) are tubeless mags these days.
if tubeless, you plug it and fill (CO2 kit or small 12vt compressor) .

if tubed or major cut/slash or side wall, the "tool" I'd use is my fone to get a flatbed on the way.

with or without my tool box... :winky:

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I discovered that many years ago when I was pulling a trailer with my old prochem legend. From that point on, I always cleaned out my recovery tank and removed my clutter of tools, buckets, accessories to give the mechanic plenty of room to work on the machine. I even removed the front middle seat in my spare van to give them room to sit to work on the right side of my machine if it ever gets in their shop again

I try so hard to give them the best work environment with written detail of everything that's needed to make their job more efficient. But in the reality...they're nothing more than Jiffy lube mechanic idiots

To be fair, most owner operator carpet cleaners are very considerate of my guys, and it is appreciated. You really go the extra mile Matt.

We did have a guy with a truck full of urine filled water battles that required a firm talk from me.

• Wow
Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
To be fair, most owner operator carpet cleaners are very considerate of my guys, and it is appreciated. You really go the extra mile Matt.

We did have a guy with a truck full of urine filled water battles that required a firm talk from me.
Why haven't you written a book yet about this side of the industry? Just from your posts on here, you could put a very entertaining story together

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Why haven't you written a book yet about this side of the industry? Just from your posts on here, you could put a very entertaining story together

It has crossed my mind.

I will say this:

The reason I intend to keep at this when others my age are retiring is how much I like the people in this business. The majority of people are friendly, honorable, imaginative, hard working, and live lives of service and personal decency.

And, best of all, as entrepreneurs who are often otherwise unemployable due to their quirks and eccentricities, they are often fun to know.

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm replacing the waste tank lid gasket on a 370 today.

I hope the owner has cleaned out his tank recently and removed his overzealous collection of tools and accessories from around the machine to make my job easier.

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom