Quoting Commercial Jobs

steamwizards

Name
Rob
Being new the business I haven't done a commercial job before it is a High School all school rooms to be cleaned during the Xmas break. Do you guys look at it per sq metre or per room or?

Thanks

Ro b

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Being new the business I haven't done a commercial job before it is a High School all school rooms to be cleaned during the Xmas break. Do you guys look at it per sq metre or per room or?
Rob, we would normally write up our recommendations based on the job as a total instead of so much per square foot. (I don't know what a "metre" is.) :) If you price by the foot then it is too easy for your contact to shop your bid by making a few phone calls. Of course, they may shop it anyway but at least you aren't giving them the data on a silver platter!

Steve

PS On any commercial proposal it is a good idea to give at least three price/frequency options. (Even if they haven't requested them.)

steamwizards

Name
Rob
Thanks Steve and now for the knock out shake your head at Rob question, do I measure the rooms up, tally by how many rooms and hallways, based on how many projected hours it is going to take and go from there with a figure. I like the frequency option you suggested as well I am gong to use that

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I like to measure everything out just for my own sake. I can be a ways off when considering a building size in my head. Consider the method you will use, hose runs, furniture moving, pre vacuuming, and anything else that will cost you or save you time and effort. I'm with Steve on his policy to give a couple different numbers in an attempt to get them on a "maintenance program". Will you be using HWE (Hot Water Extraction) or Encapsulation? If you are new to the game, NOW is the time to be considering encap for most commercial situations.

Russ

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We used a complicated formula, the out door temperature divided by two, times the number of crews divided by the sq/ft of their parking lot. Works every time! :headbang:

We use the sq/ft method, charge higher for areas that need more attention (entry and funnel areas) less for those that are light to moderate soil. Discounted for frequency and large sq/ft areas.

Look at what it's going to take you time wise, what do you want to target and hour? Multiply that target number times the hours it will take to complete the project and then divide that total by the sq/ft.

For example you want to make $150.00 and hour for a 2-technician crew and you have 16,000sq/ft to clean. The carpet conditions will only allow you to clean at 1000sq/ft production rate. $150.00 x 16 hours =$2400.00

$2,400.00 divided by 16,000sq/ft = .15 sq/ft

.15 is actually very high, but if each of those guys is running a machine then production will be 2K an hour so processing is down to 8-hours.
8 x $150.00 = $1,200.00

$1,200.00 divided by 16,000sq/ft is .075, you can win a lot of work at that rate.

I wouldn't suggest going that cheap until you get some experience and find out what kind of production rates you actually generate. Winning a contract where you lose money or work very hard for very little isn't a good thing for you or your company.

Price it where you make a decent return for the effort and you'll feel much better about it should you win it.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Thanks Steve and now for the knock out shake your head at Rob question, do I measure the rooms up, tally by how many rooms and hallways, based on how many projected hours it is going to take and go from there with a figure. I like the frequency option you suggested as well I am gong to use that
No worries, mate. No question (or answer for that matter) is too foolish for this bunch. :)

Actually Rob, I can't explain the concept much better than Richard. However, if you want a more detailed procedure with tables and examples check out Jeff Cutshall's e-manual on how to price and develop "Commercial Encapsulation Routes." (Pages 16-22) It is a free download HERE.

Steve

PS Or if you are absolutely allergic to downloading just write me at stoburen@StrategiesForSuccess.com and I'll email you a copy.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Definitely sqr metre
The first questions would be who is moving the furniture and what are they currently doing?

Generally speaking schools are using some crappy portable and God knows what kind of detergent to clean with. We would want to do a thorough scrubbing followed by hwe for the first service, to wash away the sins of the past if you will.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom