Rank smell...best deo...

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Had a WD job in that sat in a closet for 3-4 days that got to thinking. State Farm sucks, so the adjuster refused to replace the carpet. We replace the pad and cleaned with Powermax. The custy called a few days later and complained that it still smells a little musty.

Flush with something or what? Remember, I break things and dry stuff, I'm no expert carpet cleaner dude or anything.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What smells? The carpet?

Was the drywall affected? Closets are notorious incubators for mold.

Dark, no air movement, food source of drywall, shoes, clothes all you need is to introduce moisture.

Reactions: Jeremy N

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
What smells? The carpet?

Was the drywall affected? Closets are notorious incubators for mold.

Dark, no air movement, food source of drywall, shoes, clothes all you need is to introduce moisture.

Everything is dry. The carpet stAnks. It is a U shaped closet with doors on either side. She has had a fan circulating through there for 3-4 days and it still has a mild smell.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Is it psychological odor??

Are the baseboards and walls dry??

Did you test them with meters??

Are their any mold spores in the carpet backing??

I am not familiar with Powermax, is there any residual odor from it that may be contributing??

I've found Odorcide Fresh Scent to be very effective in cases like this.

:yoda:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Before you cover it make sure there's no evil source. We hate covering any odor, we prefer to remove the source and solve the problem for good.

Reactions: GCCLee

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Before you cover it make sure there's no evil source. We hate covering any odor, we prefer to remove the source and solve the problem for good.

I do too. I was hoping that I can remove it by spraying something on it and flushing well. Is that not possible?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
From a liability stand point, rip that out! That carpet now has negative connotations associated and might put a negative in the mind of your customer. Hopefully you made money on the job and have a couple hundred to rip that carpet out and replace both carpet and pad.

Reactions: Jeremy N

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
From a liability stand point, rip that out! That carpet now has negative connotations associated and might put a negative in the mind of your customer. Hopefully you made money on the job and have a couple hundred to rip that carpet out and replace both carpet and pad.

That is no doubt an option in this case. I'm just trying to do a better job upgrading my cleaning skills. I'd like to learn how to solve a problem like this. Obviously ripping it out is easier for me than driving out there to flush it out.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I would go out and check it.

You know how people get when replacement is on the table. Chances are if everything is dry, its all in there heads BUT you should know for sure. Mainly so when the adjuster tries to blame you, you'll be able to say you went on site and do believe its all in there head.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
The dryout was simple and easy - $2400

The rebuild was $8500 including the plumbing re-route, which was $2200.

In that case we usually tear it out but this adjuster jumped my case for weight assisted drying and in-place drying. He demanded that I take out the pad, replace and clean the carpet.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I would go out and check it.

You know how people get when replacement is on the table. Chances are if everything is dry, its all in there heads BUT you should know for sure. Mainly so when the adjuster tries to blame you, you'll be able to say you went on site and do believe its all in there head.

I sure will do that. In this case we are dealing with the most easy going, cool customers ever. They have been the best to deal with and extremely flexible throughout.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mikey P

Administrator
I honestly feel that the whole seal the floor clean the back and re install thing is complete BS when dealing with heavy urine damage.

Toss and start over or just add some perfume to the pre spray and wait for the pets to move or die

Reactions: GCCLee

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I honestly feel that the whole seal the floor clean the back and re install thing is complete BS when dealing with heavy urine damage.

Toss and start over or just add some perfume to the pre spray and wait for the pets to move or die

I think it was only water damage Mike.

But yes, pets have been known to discreetly leave little messages in the carpet that no-one ever knows about.

Until the carpet gets wet or in the case of high humidity.

:yoda:

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Try microban clean carpet sanitizer. Prespray following dilution rates for bonnet cleaning then rinse with only water. I use bridgepoint bio modifier for areas I have pinned down the odor to. The bio modifier would only be used as a post misting after cleaning with standard cleaners. It truly works if it hits the source but leaves a pleasant smell regardless.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

You don't need to be so anal. It's like smelly underpants. Sure it would be most effective to throw them the **** out. But we wash them in Tide and put them on again. My wife would disagree but it is the way it is. Unless you have a Trinity. Then it's in God's hands.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jeremy;

Cut carpet at the seam or doorway . . .

Remove carpet and pad . . .

Clean the floor and sanitize with chlorine bleach . . .

Soak the carpet overnight in a EPA registered sanitizer (Microban) . . .

Dry completely and reinstall.

Submit itemized list of charges.

Larry

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
larry it will be cheaper and easier just to replace. thats what we do unless it is some expensive carpet definitely would change out the pad.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Was there a cellulosic smell (like sat too long wet) when you arrived?

If so, I would be leaning towards there being a problem with the carpet and pad.

I wouldn't want to make it my problem down the road when humidity sets in.

Mark

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

Yes, that was the problem. The pad has been replaced.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Microban or Odorcide Fresh Scent. If you're in a jam and don't have those things run to home depot and grab some Odoban, they have a variety of scents - I like the lavender scent.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
This is how the computer in my head approaches this issue.

IF the carpet is truly clean.
AND
IF the carpet and padding are viable,
AND
IF you cannot replace the carpet
AND
IF the client just won't shut up about the issue.
THEN
NO VAC

I don't know if you can get it States side but in Australia WD 40 company makes a carpet deodorizing foam called No Vac.

The foam is dispensed from the can with the consistency of hair moose and is heavily scented, the product is basically a dry foam Benzalkonium Chloride based anti microbial dusinfectant. It covers the odour right away with a fragrance that has very long linger time and synergistically destroys microbe colonies that remain in the floor materials.

I like you look to remedy things properly, but there sometimes do arise circumstances where the carpet has to stay and the client isn't happy.

In this case I'll drop a couple of "grenedes" in the problem area and it puts the issue to bed instantly and so far for me - permanently.

They sell it at the supermarket, in a pinch - it's a good tool.

Grant

Back
Top Bottom