Raptor Liner - Bed Liner

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Just laid this on my 2000 E-350 (Powerstroke)

Prep work was KEY... used a "Nylon Cup Brush" on my angle grinder to make quick work of scuffing up the walls and floor (Got the idea watching this video) [video=youtube_share;U-iA8S8xZTA]http://youtu.be/U-iA8S8xZTA[/video]

Then cleaned everything with Xylene, then again... and AGAIN... I cant stress how hospital operating room clean the surface has to be.

I used my Co2 tank setup to spray with instead of my loud compressor (the setup I use to charge up my Pepsi sprayers, and to operate emergency air tools on the side of the road, like an impact gun)
This provided constant dry air @ 58 psi.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see it had a rubber mat trapping moisture down, so the rust was sprayed with "Rust converter"

These photos are after 3 heavy coats (2 days apart)

Here is the product and the gun that came with the kit.

So far it has had more than a week to cure, and to test it I threw a hammer in to the van and let it drop hard, it did nothing to the liner, but Im sure if I slide a TM in with a really sharp edge it will probably peel this up because it will peel the metal itself up.
Although allot of "Mudders" paint this stuff on the outside of their rock crawler 4x4's, and roll on to large rocks without scuffing this stuff up.

Will post pics once we finish building the direct drive for it.

Scott Rogers

Ashley, how is this holding up?

Looking at maybe picking up a new van tomorrow. I need ot make a decision on bed liner. How many coats did u do?

Also anyone know of a good caulking/sealant I can use to seal the cage to the floor that the liner will stick too. I want to seal it to keep water out of the cab area

John Olson

Name
John Olson
we tried it and went back to herculiner http://www.herculiner.com/ We actually found the right Sprayer to spray it in which makes a world of difference to rolling it in. And no sorry you will have to figure the sprayer out yourself or buy the boys in the shop lunch to get that info. They spent a lot of time and money finding one that would spray even and not clog with the herculiner. Not giving that info out free :icon_razz:

Reactions: Scott Rogers

Mikey P

Administrator
I like that color.

I'm not sold on the rubber stuff being the best liner for a cleaning van bed though.

Still undecided on my next rig.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I spoke with him a while back and he suggested a few different liners,

I would like to see how these are holding up after a few years as the carpet in the trucks has been in 5 years and isn't too bad at all.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
I spent 2k having LineX put in my new sprinter. From my research it's the best bed liner out there. Olsen, I've sprayed herculiner in one of my vans using a dry wall texture gun from harbor freight tool and it worked perfect. It only cost $20 on sale so I just threw it away when I was done. But you also need a air compressor to use the texture gun. Here are the specs on it and this info is free:winky:

This texture paint spray gun is designed for spraying heavy, viscous materials like orange peel, knockdown and popcorn interior textures as well as heavy rubberized decking and waterproofing materials.
Three nozzle sizes: 3/16", 1/4", 5/16"
Gravity feed
Large 1-1/2 gallon hopper
Lightweight, durable cast aluminum gun body
Powder coated finish

Reactions: Scott Rogers

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
The raptor liner has held up well, Despite a #6 blower being dropped on to it, and a machine we built scraped chunks of it off along with metal when it was being installed (chain broke loose)

I will take pics today, all the equipment was taken out and we are getting it ready to sell.

I will be putting another coat of Raptor liner down, this time just plain black, as I feel the auto tint I used weakens the liner a bit. I also wish I just focused on the floor only and left the walls/doors alone as it was a waste IMO.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like a liner and we've tried several different applicators and can't tell much difference.

I like it just to protect from rust and corrosion we usually still go over the top with plywood and carpet. I prefer an flat floor and the astrotuff type stuff gives you some cushion on your knees. It insulates sound some too.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
in my research of bed liners I found that most all liners have solvents in them to allow time for application. Linex is applied with special equipment that heats the liner to about a hundred and sixty degrees. When they're spraying it on it is dry to the touch within a couple seconds its very impressive to watch.I had them apply it to the walls, ceiling and floor I also had them spray it on both sides of the marine grade plywood I put on the floor and my hose reels. then I installed carpet. It's definitely not the cheapest but I bet it'll last the longest.
but if you're on a budget I think Herculiner applied with the drywall hopper spray gun is a good alternative

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The local Linex guy sucks, he did a box truck for us and laid it down really thin. I sent it back and he blamed it on the new guy.

If he is new, no problem but check his work before it goes out. I won't use them again.

The last one we used was Evolution and they sprayed down EVO liner. We've also used Bullhide and Rhino too, I really have not seen any difference.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
I used Linex of Tampa. He has pictures on his website of him doing work for the military. So if the military would have him travel out of state to apply Linex I figured he was pretty good. He had four employees working on my truck from 8 in the morning till 5 in the afternoon. They did a lot of prep work and took off all trim and applied it really nice and thick.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So if the military would have him travel out of state to apply Linex I figured he was pretty good.
Probably pretty cheap. The government usually buys from the lowest bidder. Glad to hear they did a good job! Figured it was just the local guy.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Yeah that sucks, he was probably trying to save himself money by using less product. But thats no way run a business.

Back
Top Bottom