Ray Miller Jr Tiffan Ohio

Name
Lee Stockwell
Thinking about Ken Snow, and others we've lost too soon, got me to thinking of another young "go-getter" who went suddenly.

Ray Miller was also active in UCCI and helped me out a few times, in the era just before we all discovered Bulletin Boards.

He died in a skydiving mishap in Antarctica in 1997. Hard to fathom at the time...or even now.

Any of the other "old" guys or Ohioans remember him?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I remember Ray so very well Lee. He was a source of energy and drive with the UCCI and I considered him to be a friend.

He had a sense of boyish fun about him, and one of my fondest memories of him was him walking through the exhibit hall during one of our trade shows in a bathrobe and bunny slippers one morning with a lovely lady on each arm.

I also rememeber awakening to my radio alarm and listening to the morning news in the dark that fateful morning.

When the announcer said "a businessman from Tiffin Ohio died in a skydiving accident in Antarctica" it cut through me like a knife. I knew it was Ray.

http://parachutistonline.com/feature/tragedy-in-antarctica—-lessons-from-the-south-pole

It's one of those moments I'll never forget....I miss him still.

Last edited:

Brian H

Name
Brian H
He had a sense of boyish fun about him, and one of my fondest memories of him was him walking through the exhibit hall during one of our trade shows in a bathrobe and bunny slippers one morning with a lovely lady on each arm.

I was there and remember that!! I don't remember much about him except that he was pretty involved with the UCCI.

. Didn't he lose a son prior to that when he was hit by a car going to the mailbox? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Yes Brian, his son died going to get his paper for him, which was something he loved to do for his dad. Any parent can imagine the sorrow that caused Ray.

He has another son, and I cannot imagine what he has endured losing both his brother and then his father within a few years.

Its moments like what we have experienced with losing Ken and recalling losing Ray ...and the loss he endured with his son...that should remind us all to tell those we love that we love them every day, and more importantly, treat them in a way consistent with those words every moment of our all too brief lives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom