re glue commercial carpet

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
I have a commercial carpet Account that after cleaning has a lot of bubbles obviously delamination, they don't appear to be going back down after it dries as usual. is there a way to reglue those bubbles? I've heard you can put latex glue in a carpet syringe and inject it underneath, but I don't know if it works

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I did that once. It was a real pain. It took forever. After that I never tried to fix another CGD problem. When people call I tell them I don't do commercial repairs.
That's my experience with this, maybe someone else has an easy solution.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think for best results it will need to be cut open and glued from the back. We had an installer look at a church we clean annually. It was really bad in a pivot point near the entrance desk. They fixed it and it was good as new...well, used carpet.

We've cleaned it several times since the repair and so far its holding up fine. :cool:

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
More than likely it is an installer issue. I have seen this in a few jobs that I've serviced through the years.

It is probably a unitary backed carpet. A unitary backed carpet is supposed to be glued to the floor. It has no secondary backing. Therefore it has no stability. Any moisture – ANY MOISTURE – will put more waves into the carpet then the Pacific ocean. The carpet should've been glued properly. The fact that it wasn't doesn't make it your problem. Although trying to convince that to the building owner is easier said than done. :(

Reactions: The Great Oz

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Rick is correct about the fault, unless you poured something with a lot of solvent into the carpet in those areas. Is the building owner looking to you to repair at your expense? If not, leave it to an installer with commercial installation experience to fix. If they are aiming at you, hire an inspector with commercial installation experience to keep from having to pay for the correct installation.

I've seen a bunch of poorly installed direct-glue installations that came up with cleaning, and learned that the installers knew they were hacking the jobs when they did the installs. They told the building owner that the carpet could only be dry-powder cleaned. Inspections showed they used a worn trowel in most areas and in the worst areas there was no adhesive at all.

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
Thanks everyone, turned out to be no big deal. By the time I got there to inspect it the ripples had already gone down.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom