Re: perm. marker on wool rug Posted By bryan ohaleck on 11/1

Roger Koh

Re: perm. marker on wool rug
Posted By bryan ohaleck on 11/18/2010 at 7:10 PM
I'd always use alcohol (grain, if you can get it easily) first. When dye transfer stops, flood the area with OMS or other non-volatile solvent and then alternate applying ammonia and a hot detergent rinse. Once you've reached the end of dye transfer from this method you can move on to color strippers.

Just remember to protect the fiber from agitation so the clean nap doesn't look worse than the art.

It might be permanent. :eek:

=================================================================

Here’s an alternative:

A “Green” approach to Permanent Marker Removal on Wool!

These sequences of pictures show how Permanent Marker is being removed by a “wet-system” without the use of solvent.

#1. A “Sharpie Permanent Marker Stain Test” on a Chinese Wool Rug.
MarkerRemovalonWool1-6.jpg
>

#2. Application of an odorless, water-based pH 7.7 Ink Stain Removal.
MarkerRemovalonWool2-6.jpg

#3. Agitating the stain with a spatula.
MarkerRemovalonWool3-6.jpg

#4. Extracting the suspended stain with cotton swab.
MarkerRemovalonWool4-6.jpg

#5. Remove sticky residue with a pH 5.6 Wool Degreaser follows by a pH 4.0 Wool Rinse.
MarkerRemovalonWool5-6.jpg

#6. The tools of the trade!
MarkerRemovalonWool6-6.jpg

Note: To control dye bleeding acidified it with a pH 2.0 Acidifier.
Ammonia makes the dyes to bleed - a pH 2.0 Acidifier stops it.

What do you think?

(Not able to upload pictures on the other board)

Roger Koh
info@leatherdoctor.org

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I haven't tried your product Roger, but I haven't yet found an RTU ink removal product that is universally better than alcohol and ammonia, so don't buy any. When removing ink from the depths of a rug's face fiber there's no time for dinking around. The key is to get it moving and get it out - fast - before it can set anywhere.

I also probably wouldn't use the OMS myself, but it supplies a safety net for a guy asking how to remove marker.

Roger Koh

Cons:
1] “Alcohol” dries too fast to keep the release ink in constant suspension for easy absorption with cotton swab; thus need repeated application.
2] “Ammonia” helps to release the ink; but may also bleed those red dyes especially on Orientals rugs.
3] “OMS” – no more fancy using solvent of any kind; if there is a “green” alternative for reasons of hazardous, toxicity, environment and storage.

Pros:
1] This water-based odorless pH 7.7 Ink Remover with its high viscosity stays put and engulf the stain; penetrating, lubricating and suspending it during the dwelling process and it can be left there to work on its own even up to three days without evaporating away. That makes it easy for the suspended ink to be blot away.
2] Wool is well known for its absorbency and as the suspended stains dries up; it’s quickly being reabsorbed by the wool fiber. That is how the pH 5.6 Wool Degreaser in the second step helps in suspending the stains for being reabsorbed by the wool – "rinse-free".
3] The third step is to remove all residues with a pH 4.0 Wool Rinse.

This “Green” approach applies not only to permanent marker but include ballpoint ink, india ink, stamp pad ink and dye transfer from blue jean, ink prints and news prints.
It’s for all natural and synthetic fibers except silk and rayon.

Is there another “Green” system that I am not aware of?

Roger Koh
info@leatherdoctor.org

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom