rear engine seal

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
On boxxer 421 came off. Just finished a job and smelled oil. Then noticed rear seal is out and floating on shaft. Can i push it back on and add some high heat engine sealant to get me thru a few days? I was thinking of rigging up something like some flat plates with clamps to hold the seal on. Thanks

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
did the seal egg shape...did the spring invert....do you know why it walk off...normally they are tapped in there pretty tight......

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Looks good. I can just about pop it on by hand. Just have to come up with a way to get the last little bit.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Joel;

It takes a special oil-resistant silicone sealant to withstand the heat.

It is usually Black in Color at the auto supply.

If you can clean both surfaces with solvent, it should hold for a while.

Larry

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I would put the high temp sealant on it and push it back in as long as it is not damaged...let it set up over night and add oil in the am...this is not 100% ..so keep a good eye on it.....there has to be a reason it is popping out.....

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Well i already popped it in with a pry bar and flat piece of metal. I should have waited and read this first. It had been leaking a little for a while. I used to see the edge of the seal sticking out past the engine. I just thought thats how it was supposed to be. Now its in slightly after pushing it on which means its been working its way out for a long time. I ran it a few minutes and no leak at all. Ill have to keep an eye on it.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
my Briggs did that and I just pushed it back in. It would pop out periodically and I would push it back in. I finally just replaced the motor. I didn't try any adhesives just force.

Gene

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
my Briggs did that and I just pushed it back in. It would pop out periodically and I would push it back in. I finally just replaced the motor. I didn't try any adhesives just force.

Gene

sometimes if you have one that keeps walking itself out ...you can put a little bit of high temp sealant around the edges and pop it back in...let it set up and it will help keep it in place.........

hogjowl

Idiot™
My Briggs did that once and I ordered a new seal. Not knowing any better , I put the new one in and it lasted until I sold that unit a couple years later,

Ron K

When you replace it make sure you get one from the manufacturer not Napa...don't ask how I know that!

Name
Lee Stockwell
There is a tool that will allow you to drive it in square and secure without damaging it. Like a large socket, but it presses against the metal portion of the seal.

Back
Top Bottom