Red candle wax?

HogFan

Name
Nick Petersen
My client has a huge spot of red candle wax that she has already ironed with a wet cloth and rag.

In little areas I've been trying everything I have with very minimal success. (Red zone, pro solve, avenge pro, citrus, etc)

Anyway is there a miracle worker for this kind of stuff or is this stain set permanently?

Thanks
Nick

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
What I do is use a steamer. Not an iron. Melt the wax and the blot/ wipe it up with a towel. ( hitting it with water often just re-hardens the wax) Then I use Red Relief with the steamer to remove the red color. Easy peezy and works like a charm over 90% of the time.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Freeze it first, then chip away and vacuum up as much as possible. Then use a brown paper bag and an iron NOT a towel to transfer the remaining wax from the carpet to the paper. You might go through a whole bag of lunch bags if the spot is huge. Once you are no longer getting any wax transfer (no oily spot on the bags) then use red relief.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
John..i know a brown paper bag is what everyone sez.....
i don get it...a damp white terry cloth is so much more absorbant
why does brown paper work so much better....

John Olson

Name
John Olson
the temperature need to transfer onto the paper bag is way less then using a towel. Also the wax is absorbed by the paper easier then with the towel. This is MY experience someone like Shawn with the big brain wants to give a more scientific reason I would love to hear it as well.

Reactions: GCCLee

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Using an iron especially with the paper will run a huge risk of melting the tips of the fibers. ( it's one of those stupid tips from Women's magazines. )Toss the iron and steam it. It is much easier, faster and safer. I removed a 6 ft' x 8 ft wax splatter in about 1/2 hour with a steamer. Would of been forever with an iron , freezing or solvent

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i always taught Mrs Phift how to do it hersef.....
with her own white towel.....i showed 'em how to repair cigarette burns as well...
i built up a trust...that i wasn't trying to rip them off....
truth IS: i really didn't wanna do it!

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
It sounds like you are saying that all the wax has been removed but now there is a red stain. This can happen when using an iron or Steamer to melt wax into a towel. The heat opens the dye sites and while the wax is absorbed into a towel, some of the dye in the candle wax stains the carpet. To prevent this, use heat method to melt wax into towel, but when most of the wax is removed, apply stain magic to carpet, then absorb remainder of wax & dye into towels. When all wax is removed, apply more stain magic, dwell, and extract.

Now, after the fact, apply stain magic, place damp towel over stain and apply iron or steamer to activate. If some color is removed, repeat if necessary. If some color still remains, apply stain magic and cover with plastic wrap. some discoloration may be permanent.

Reactions: Willy P

HogFan

Name
Nick Petersen
Good info, but yes Paul you are correct. She melted the wax herself.. I didn't teach her to melt the wax with an iron but she did and all that was left was a huge red spot. Wax was gone. I tried red relief and red zone with an iron and cloth and had no luck. I didn't try a paper bag though. That may be better.

Stain magic? Is that similar to stain zone?

I really like the idea of a steamer rather than an iron. Thank you

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I do agree with John that a paper bag works best. Don't use one that says "Kroger" or you will transfer that to the carpet.

Be sure the wax is gone. Sometimes they get part, but not all of the wax.

Once the wax is gone, start with a blended solvent. I suggest All Solv Extreme. Remove all the oil based portion of the stain that you can. Then go for the RedZONE or Red Relief.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Using an iron especially with the paper will run a huge risk of melting the tips of the fibers. ( it's one of those stupid tips from Women's magazines. )Toss the iron and steam it. It is much easier, faster and safer. I removed a 6 ft' x 8 ft wax splatter in about 1/2 hour with a steamer. Would of been forever with an iron , freezing or solvent

Like Dave, we also like the steamer:
View attachment 3827
Get the wax up and then
use steamer & Dynachem Dye Stain Remover for

the most complete Red Dye Removal.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index...h_in_description=1&keyword=Dye+Stain+Remover+

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebco
Name
Lee Stockwell
Kraft paper in rolls in the paint section of Lowe's.

In 20 years or so I've never had a mishap with the iron.

However NOTHING is ever "foolproof", because there are new and improved fools each year.

Reactions: J Scott W

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Holy Crap try the brown paper trick guys!

You decide over the white towels. I have : )

Thanks Olson & Stockwell

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

HogFan

Name
Nick Petersen
Are the brown bags just to use for wax clean up or can you use the brown bags for any red spot removal?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
It sounds like you are saying that all the wax has been removed but now there is a red stain. This can happen when using an iron or Steamer to melt wax into a towel. The heat opens the dye sites and while the wax is absorbed into a towel, some of the dye in the candle wax stains the carpet. To prevent this, use heat method to melt wax into towel, but when most of the wax is removed, apply stain magic to carpet, then absorb remainder of wax & dye into towels. When all wax is removed, apply more stain magic, dwell, and extract.

Now, after the fact, apply stain magic, place damp towel over stain and apply iron or steamer to activate. If some color is removed, repeat if necessary. If some color still remains, apply stain magic and cover with plastic wrap. some discoloration may be permanent.

Or you can put on a kettle, bring to a boil and pour over the wax. Use your hose cuff to vacuum it up as the wax will melt from the hot water. Repeat as necessary. Sometimes you guys work too hard. Easy, easier and EASIEST.
BUT
Great advice on the follow up.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Are the brown bags just to use for wax clean up or can you use the brown bags for any red spot removal?

Just for wax. Not all wax is the same, nor do they all have the same melting point. Some are as low as 100 deg F., others 165 or more. The beauty of kraft paper transfer is that it effectively PULLS the wax without dispersing it further in the carpet. It also requires no added chemicals to work effectively.

It gives immediate visual feedback as it turns dark from the transferred wax. Be sure to move the paper so that it can continue pulling into clean paper.

steve_64

i hate the scentsy wax. nasty gooey stuff.

anyone know where i can get a can of something to freeze wax and gum? i use to use freon back in my janitorial days for gum removal and i still think thats the best way but cant get that anymore.

doesnt the heat from the hot wax open up the dye sites already, before we apply heat?

ive been using white towels for this but they get expensive since they are garbage once you use them. ill have to try the brown kraft paper.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Just for wax.

Wooah, I dun think so : )
I tried it on Red Koolaid Gusher using a heating Iron in the basement after reading your post about the paper. I had Poured this Koolaid in the carpet as one of the kids left it sitting out during the summer, Could not believe my eyes Lee, went through 3 folded pcs flipping etc. and visually after each pc the spot was lighter until gone. Used Red 1 and the Iron. Paper started to turn a lighter color and I would flip it and change as needed, never saw any red in the paper at all though jus a white type haze forming on the paper.

These are spots that I could not remove using The Terry towels, A,B Red Relief, Red 1, Sapphire Red Remover etc. Iron or the Steamer, I had literally given up trying! Doubted the Brown Kraft Paper trick so much that I thought why even takes pics it won't work...so like a dufas I didn't : (

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Just for wax. Not all wax is the same, nor do they all have the same melting point. Some are as low as 100 deg F., others 165 or more. The beauty of kraft paper transfer is that it effectively PULLS the wax without dispersing it further in the carpet. It also requires no added chemicals to work effectively.

It gives immediate visual feedback as it turns dark from the transferred wax. Be sure to move the paper so that it can continue pulling into clean paper.

More than hot enough to melt the wax of all candles- just add water and an open vacuum hose cuff. No dog and pony show, nothing to damage the carpet, just remelted wax going in your vac hose.

kettle_preview_zpsc83ede48.png

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
More than hot enough to melt the wax of all candles- just add water and an open vacuum hose cuff. No dog and pony show, nothing to damage the carpet, just remelted wax going in your vac hose.

kettle_preview_zpsc83ede48.png

Does it come out the waste side as a chunk again : )

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Any time there's a colored wax stain, a huge difference would be the size of the stain and how deep it went. If it has a color and you're using heat, unless the carpet has no dye sites, congratulations- You have a new color in the carpet.

Therefore, when practical (time, clients' willingness to pay etc.) you'd want to remove (all if you can) or as much as possible before using heat. Different ways to go about it. You can try and freeze, use solvents to dissolve, or chemicals that can help penetrate and help wax "slide" off and so forth. Time consuming for sure!

Last edited:

glenboy

Name
GLEN
I cleaned this spot for 4 years and custy called for another spill 5 feet away.got em both in one call

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom