red flag...

-JB-

Name
JB
what are some of the things that set off your "red flag" that you might have a "challenging" customer on your hands?

You know the ones looking back you shoutnt had oughta worked for...

mine...

on a scale of 1-5
1 being odd but, okay whatever,
5 being RUNNNNNN!!!!

3- being asked to remove my shoes when doing upholstery only jobs (in the days before booties)
5-will you lay something down to protect my CERAMIC TILE FLOOR! (in the foyer where we hafta walk over it)
2- please be careful of the baseboards we just had the house painted!
4- please don't set the briefcase down on the duvet (that's a comforter cover for us Target/Wal-Mart types)
5- please don't set the briefcase down near the curio cabinet!
3- When the customer introduces me to their dog.... by name.
5- When the customer introduces me to their cat.... by name.

-JB-

Name
JB
your the one w/the accent! :evil:

5- when they book the job four weeks early, call in a week before the job and ask if I'm bonded and insured.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
5: When they say the are "chemically sensitive" and not only can you not use cleaning chemicals, but you can't wear deodorant either......then they sniff your armpits before they let you in

5: When a video camera is set up and they tell you that they do that to have evidence if they ever have to take you to court later

Name
steve snail
Can't quite put my finger on it, other than to say you just get a "bad feeling". Will usually bid these into the stratosphere and let them call someone else. Gut feeling are almost never wrong.

R

rotovacguy

Jim Pemberton said:
5: When they say the are "chemically sensitive" and not only can you not use cleaning chemicals, but you can't wear deodorant either......then they sniff your armpits before they let you in

5: When a video camera is set up and they tell you that they do that to have evidence if they ever have to take you to court later

No way!! Really?? Can't say THAT'S ever happened to me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

About the worse thing that's happened to me was about a year ago when the custy had his 4 foot boa constrictor loose in the house.....but he didn't tell me!! This guy was cool, definitely not challenging, but it would have been good to know about the snake PRIOR to me taking the job. He asks me if I've seen "Gilbert", as if I'm supposed to know who the f*** that is! LOL Turns out that's the name of the snake. Thank god I didn't come across the nasty thing.....I hate snakes! :D Or how about those little old ladies with umpteen million cats? NASTY!! Or the family dog trying to take a chomp out of your ass, or worse yet, hump your leg! :shock:

So I guess that's my red flag, the family "pets". Lock em up, or put em outside, I'm there to do a job.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Ryan said:
hogjowl said:
When they call me and talk with a snotty yankee accent.

Agreed those are always the worst...

Southerners have never gotten over the Civil War.
From all of us up here: sorry you are loooooosers.

Bob Foster

When they tell you to go to the back door because that's the door for service people.

gary mackay

Volvo in the driveway with obama/biden sticker

rainbow flag hanging over the garage instead of the red white & blue

buddah statue on the porch

anyone that calls with an indian or middle eastern accent

when the phone id says "us government" and they want a quote

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
When you've booked the job, quoted them a price, confirmed the price before beginning the work. You work hard for a few hours, and when it comes time to pay the bill.... they have a competitors coupon sitting ontop of your invoice on the counter. As you walk over to the your invoice and discover the coupon you look at the customer and they have this look. The look of "you have to match the price"; its hard to explain but if its ever happened to you, you know what I mean.

I usually just set it aside and ask how they would like to take care of the bill. They almost get offended when you don't take notice of the coupon, and set it aside.

Everything JB said is just people that want their homes protected and nothing broke well except for talking to their animals. There is nothing wrong with that imo.

I also had a lady present a coupon after the job was done and she already signed off on the work order. Next time I will ask her does she want me to clean with the method on whatever coupon she has or clean the carpet properly for my price. I did knock 25 off her bill which I shouldn't have done but the job was easy and I still made 150 to clean 3 rooms and a hall.

This is hands down my biggest red flag.

I just want you to hit the entry way in this area, only clean the walk here, you really don't have move anything in here, basically don't clean the entire room, and just make a couple swipes with your tool in the room upstairs and the room down in the basement and hit the rug in the kitchen. How much is that going to be?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
danielc said:
Everything JB said is just people that want their homes protected and nothing broke well except for talking to their animals. There is nothing wrong with that imo.

I also had a lady present a coupon after the job was done and she already signed off on the work order. Next time I will ask her does she want me to clean with the method on whatever coupon she has or clean the carpet properly for my price. I did knock 25 off her bill which I shouldn't have done but the job was easy and I still made 150 to clean 3 rooms and a hall.

So yet after you already established more VALUE for your services, and your hard work, you went ahead and devalued it anyways and totally contradicted your previous statement made to her ? Congrats! Now shes going to expect a discount from now on, and so will any friends she refers. You just turned your services into a comodity.

Yes I fooked up. If I hear from her again there will be no discount of any sort. Take it or leave it. I highly doubt she is going to let Chem-Dry buff her carpet. What do I know though? Maybe then she will appreciate what she had. Now I remember exactly what happened. I did the job and she asks me if I would honor a coupon when I was done. She says I am the coupon queen. Now I see how you can afford this 800k dollar home. I discounted the job because the spent 300 plus on rug cleaning a few weeks before and I still made good money. I don't mind giving a bone every now and then. Next time I will tell her my price is my price. If you want a discount call the company offering the special. She isn't calling anyone else, and there is no way she would let a guy with a portable through her front door.

If I would have said no she more than likely could have cared less because she has more money than she knows what to do with. It just pissed me off that she assumes my service is the same as Chem Dry.

Noidios

Name
Russ Zinck
Southerners have never gotten over the Civil War.
From all of us up here: sorry you are loooooosers.[/quote]

That would be known as the War of Northern Aggression in these parts.

Spurling

How about when they call and the 1st thing they ask is,"Yall got insurance?'' .. or "So you do have a 100% money back guarantee right?'' .. or," Yall git all da stains up right." .. or,"Can you hold the check?''

P.S. The lady who asked if I had insurance tried to sue me .. BITCH failed! because I covered my own ass ..

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
gary mackay said:

That's 75% of my jobs in Lawrence :roll: .

Allot of my Red Flags have to do with pet issues. A Red flag popped up when a frat house I had been trying to get some work from call and wanted me to clean just one small room.
Here was the room:
101_0700.jpg

Yes that’s mold.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
red flags for me are when they are too careful of their furniture, ie asked to take off shoes when doing a quote, no problem. Went to sit on the cushioned bench right beside the door when I was putting my shoes back on and told not to sit there, problem.

Can I move "everything" and they have nick knacks ALL OVER.

When I walk in the door and I can't see the carpet for "stuff"

When they mention sensitivities and they won't accept any alternatives or show any trust.

Had a call from a lady that had the last two, sure glad she never booked.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
ACE said:
gary mackay said:

That's 75% of my jobs in Lawrence :roll: .

Allot of my Red Flags have to do with pet issues. A Red flag popped up when a frat house I had been trying to get some work from call and wanted me to clean just one small room.
Here was the room:
101_0700.jpg

Yes that’s mold.

Yes, it is mold. But it is only attached to the beer in the carpet. It'll clean right up,lol.

T

The Magician

When the custy calls and ask for a discount because they have 2 small rooms. They don't mention the 200 spots, tons of furniture and extra long hallway.

bonesheal

If someone tries to negotiate a lower price over the phone, I know it's not going to go well.

randy

Name
Randy
1) When the customer decides to take a shower while you are cleaning and walks down the hallway naked afterwards.
2) When they ask if you are "open minded" as you are following them down to the basement to see what they want cleaned.
3) When you find out that the customer in 1 & 2 is in the United States Senate.
4) When the customer opens the bathroom door to ask you a question while they are sitting on the toilet.
5) When the customer asks you to accidently kill the cat before his girlfriend gets home.

Disclaimer: In regard to #5, I passed because he only offered $50 to disappear the cat. I listed it on Craigslist and got zero calls. No margin in whacking out cats.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
If a female client is asking your for fashion advice. "Doesn't my ass look great in the these pants?" If you say yes or no, you're screwed either way. "Well ma'am thats a nice outfit" ......DOH! Ivebeensold

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom