Refinement; going that extra mile

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
I don't know if my comment and thoughts below are relevent because from what I have witnessed on this board, is that you Gentlemen are pretty darn Professional and perhaps use more ridgid guidelines than I have seen to be the norm. However, I hope this may help a few newbies, so here goes:

Refinement of any product or any business doesn't necessarliy mean employing drastic changes, rather smaller refinements as you progress forward. IMHO, this is a necessity for continued success because sooner or later, your competition will continue to use their best efforts to ride the coat-tails of your business. At least that is what I have experienced over the past 40+ years in this Industry.

Let's analyze your business:

Situation: The potential customer requires their carpet to be cleaned. They begin by calling several for estimates. Now lets make the following assumptions, (In their minds -Most- ALL carpet cleaning companies "Clean" carpets. ALL companies are expected to show up on time. Further, ALL are expected to deliver clean carpets, charge the customer and run to the next job.

So, how are we different from one another? The color of our truck; our uniforms, or shoes; the way we say, Hello?

I think about what makes myself drive out of my way, to my favorite restaurant. Is it the unique food? Not really, I could order comparable spaghetti & meatballs at most any restaurant!

The secret is: the particular Waiter/Server.

This Gentleman has made it his business to remember the little things in our past conversations about "me", my family, what's happening, and so on. His service on delivery is superb and makes "me" feel like I am the most important person in his restaurant. Wow...someone really cares about: me! It is refreshing and makes my drive and personal time all the more worth it. In fact, I look forward to it. And, I always feel great leaving a larger tip than required too.

My advice to those searching to be different and move up a notch in the service industry that may separate your business from those trying to ride your coattails, take notes on the personal aspects of each and every customer. Even if it takes a few seconds to write them down before you leave to the next job and refer to these notes the next time around on your revisit. Because this type of personal interest (not info on invasion on ones privacy, btw) will never be forgotten by your customer. And, it will take priority over other factors such as pricing differences, etc....and leave a lasting & very positive impression.

I know it works because experience has proven it over and over again! And, when I feel good; when someone in the service business puts forth such effort, I'll patronize that establishment.:smile:

Best to all

Mikey P

Administrator
we can only rely on our memory so much..

Service Monster has a great Notes section that can be used to achieve this

pet's names, customer notable achievements, special requests etc.

Why not use technology to "cheat" a little..

I have a favorite bike shop where they know my 4 bikes, they know how and where I ride, they smile and high five and when I'm not bartering for cleaning, I pay full price.
20 bike shops in town but this one gets my cash regardless of mistakes, bad advice at times and that I could pay half online.

My parker store has a vacuum decal on it's door, we talk Kombucha, biodiesel, politics local economy, dog shit etc. the owner wants to hear about my Mom every time I go in. They won't take my cash because someday they'll use the $600 in credit they have for all my blown hose repairs and brass tid bits.

I have so many clients whom I've watch their kids grow from just a belly bulge to off to college that I can't count em any more. I could OP their carpet and they would still call ME.

thanks Ed.

Reactions: Ed Valentine
Back
Top Bottom