Refurbed Kirby G-5 On Its Way

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
A must have for all of Mikey's Hip Cult members. Got it on E-bay shipped to my door for 148 bucks. A vac store in Wisconsin which has E-Bay ratings off the charts. Mikey what color of underware are we suppose to wear this week?

Golden Boy

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I get those for $20/$25 at Yard sales/Good Will.

Picked up a barely used, loaded to the gills with accessory's Sentria for $19 a few weeks ago at a yard sale,
Lady complained that she paid $600, from a "friend" and after using it twice it wouldn't pick anything up, "Had NO SUCTION"

So I get it back to the shop, open up the bag that maybe had 50lbs of crap in it, the fill tube was CLOGGED with enough hair to make a few wigs.

Washed the outer bag, cleaned the filler neck, new $1.25 belt, Hepa bag, Set the brush roll lower, and this thing will RIP anything out of the carpet that is not bound to the fiber.

Reactions: Mikey P

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
We dont date are first cousins up here. Hard to find a Kirby for under a c-note up here.

Golden Boy

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Had a kirby.................the wheel design made it hard to push and pull.

I think the Hoover Conquest line is a better fit.

My 18 inch Hoover is designed to suck just going forward with NO back and forth crap.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Ron is correct the Kirby G series of vacuum cleaners feature "Tech Drive" which will provide a substantial amount of the motive force needed to move the machine. To engage Tech Drive ensure the small pedal on the back of the machine under the power switch is set to "D". The "D" position represent Drive and the "N" Neutral.

Grant

Name
Eric Valentine
I bought a used G6 2000 special edition for 25 bucks a couple months ago. Needed some cleaning up, and new screws to hold it together. All I need now is a drive belt, and it will be running almost like new.

Mikey P

Administrator
Had a kirby.................the wheel design made it hard to push and pull.

I think the Hoover Conquest line is a better fit.

My 18 inch Hoover is designed to suck just going forward with NO back and forth crap.

Have you tried one of these new cars with "power steering" yet Jimmy?

Buck1955

Name
John
I just bought a G7 Ultimate that's 10 years old for 100.00. Does a good job, just not sure I want to lug it up and down stairs, and no on board tools for the baseboard detailing.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
This vac is amazing the self propelled feels like you are cheating. Hard to tell what height to have vac at as the self propelled moves at any height. What do u recommend Grant?

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Kirby has changed their advice regarding height adjustment over the years. These days they say to lowering the head until the sound of the machine changes and then one level lower. They used to suggest just lowing until the machine could be heard to be in contact with the floor. I still use the old method and only lower the machine again if I find it breaking contact with the floor.

My reason is that the lower the head goes, the less the machine will lift the carpet up off the backing and the less of an air pocket it will create under the carpet which allows deep soil extraction.

Obviously on glued down this is not a concern.

Grant

Last edited:

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Grant how long do these transmissions last on these units?

Golden Boy

It varies a lot. Basically it isn't as if the transmission will just stop working on you. What happens is it becomes less and less helpful as it wears and the user gets less and less assistance. Furthermore, as the bracket cam assembly wears you will notice the Kirby making a clicking sound when it changes direction from forward to backward or vice versa. In instances where the cam bracket assembly is very worn, the machine will click continuously when it is turned off and pushed between rooms or the vehicle in neutral.

Grant

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom