Rehabbing a Powermatic 1150.... w/keroburner

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Going to re-route & split the blower/engine exhuast to separate mufflers, paint some covers, change a few gauges & all the hoses & belts. The waste tank was recently welded to repair some small cracks.

Anyway, is there anything I should just go ahead & do while I'm at it & have the machine out of the vehicle? Other than replacing themachine with a new one I'm open to suggestions. In fact I'd like to go ahead & get everything that can be done... DONE NOW. Whatchya thinkin'?

C

Chris Sheldon

Sounds like a good plan Jeremy.

While you are at it, I would check all of the wiring and connections and make sure you have no nicks in the wiring and that all of the connections are tight. Also, if you have wires that are brittle, it would be a good idea/time to replace them.

I don't know how many hours are on the engine, but you could also remove the heads and de-carbon them and replace the head gaskets. If you are not comfortable doing this kind of work, you could have it done at a small engine shop. Change oil, plugs, and filters.

Also look at the lobes in the blower and see if they need to be cleaned.

How do the outside of the burner coils look?

If your fuel lines look brittle or have superficial cracks, replacing them is pretty cheap and easy.

Now is also a good time to check pulley alignment.

Just a few suggestions; good luck on your project and let me know if I can help!

-Chris

C

Chris Sheldon

You may want to also change the valves and seals in your pump if you haven't done so in a while. I like to do them every 1500 hours or so.

Battery terminals are often overlooked so make sure you terminals and cables are in good shape.

Service/rebuild your pressure regulator.

Damn Jeremy, just bring it to my shop and I will do all of this for you! ha :twisted:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Chris has given you good guidance, Jerm

don't know that I'd monkey around much with cast iron motor though.
if it has a mega hours, but still runs well, I'd just run it and start saving your pennies for new 25hp Kohler Command for when the Big Blue finally dies

if your silencer is toast, i think you'd better off to find another stock one rather than splitting the blower and engine exhaust.
Using a hi-flow muffler for the blower is no problem, but the engine exhaust will be a different challenge.
The exh manifold points down.
You'll have a tough time McGivering any muffler that won't cause you excessive heat related problems.
At the least, you're looking at changing the exh manifold and routing a muffler on top.

it would be MUCH less headache to get a stock Powermatic silencer

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom