Release Form

Jim1

Hi Everyone,

Im picking up a rug later this week that has wine spilled on it ( Red ) I saw the post below on removing it, Is one tannin spot remover better than another..

I also need a release form if you could email one I would be greatful..

I plan to go slow this lady loves this rug more than her first born..

Its her wine and I want to keep it that way

Thank you Jim McDannel

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Jim,
Use some grain alcohol with your tanning stain remover. You'll have "Wine Away." Apart from removing a tea wash, you are unlikely to hurt the rug using a tannin stain remover.

Good luck with the release. It may be worthwhile since it could discourage a customer from taking you to court, but they aren't legally binding. No matter what they sign, you can still be sued, so if you're not up to the risk take the rug to someone else.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Don't use one, don't believe in them. Set realistic expectations and use your skill and knowledge. If uncomfortable cleaning without a release, do what bryan said and take it to someone else or refer the customer to someone.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I've never used a release as stated it doesn't shield you from liability.

bryan touched upon tannin/alcohol spotter which is reasonably benign it can damage the colors in a few rugs particularly some natural dyes from yellow...some new tibetan rugs for example

Kevin Hamer

If I have to have a release signed than I pass on the job. As others have said, they are worthless and I can do without the headache. You already got a heads up by knowing how important this rug is to her. Ding,Ding, Ding ( bell going off in your head saying WALK AWAY). If you choose to take it on, charge ALOT.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Speaking of liability... I apparently caused some shrinkage cleaning a hand tufted wool rug 4 -5 in according to the customer. I say apparently cause I didn't get accurate measurments. (Kicks self). The rug had previous damage - Urine and various rust or furniture stains. Would I be liable for the purchased price or would I be able to settle for the depreciated value? Assuming a pee stained rug has any value.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
tman7 said:
Speaking of liability... I apparently caused some shrinkage cleaning a hand tufted wool rug 4 -5 in according to the customer. I say apparently cause I didn't get accurate measurments. (Kicks self). The rug had previous damage - Urine and various rust or furniture stains. Would I be liable for the purchased price or would I be able to settle for the depreciated value? Assuming a pee stained rug has any value.

If a case ever gets into a court, there is no telling what a judge will decide. Judges tend to favor the consumer over the business.

I don't see why you should be liable for anything more than the value of the rug at the time you cleaned it. So whatever the depreciated value of a stained rug might be. Hopefully it was not anything of investment quality that might have appreciated. They should not put that kind of rug where the dog could reach it.

Scott Warrington

G

Who would have ever thought that someone would be awarded millions of dollars for spilling hot coffee on themselves while driving either. Makes you think though...judges don't always have common sense or interpret the law as it's written.

Kevin Hamer

tman7 said:

Lucky for you it had preexisting damage, don't know the value of the rug but I would bet you get a depreciated value. Maybe come to an agreement without going to court.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
The custy says he paid $1900. My insurance comp says it isn't covered (not accidental) so any ballpark figures ($$$) for a rug like this with its previous condition in mind? Its a "8X11" Indian, hand tufted 100% wool rug. Thanks

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Do you have pictures of this rug …did the backing shrink?

how did you clean it?

depending on what the rug is one can be had fro under 1K

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
You mean the canvas covering? Or the latex? Neither one shrank that I can tell, if it did I'm sure there would be ripples across the surface. In any case the rug lies flat. Although there is a bit of dust coming from beneath. (The latex?) But it has some obvious discolorations that anyone familiar with urine would recognize as well as a few small rust ,food or furniture stains.

DRScrivner

Latex on an Indian Rug?

Since when did traditional Indians (Native Americans) use latex?

I am no rug expert. Seek out Lisa Wagner, Dusty Roberts, Ruth Travis, or others, but latex on a genuine, Native American rug sounds awful fishy to me.

Del

Scott

I think he meant "Indian" from the country India, not Native American.

I've seen tons of these and the powder is crappy latex that is breaking down from wash, pre-existing conditions, or both.

The fix is to re-apply latex to it. Either crack the back and apply it evenly or, if the customer doesn't mind, apply it right to the back of the rug.

That doesn't fix the supposed shrinking, which, by the way, I've never seen a modern Indian rug with a latex backing shrink.

How can the customer prove it shrunk? Does he have an existing rug stay mat that is now larger than the rug? A wood floor with obvious non-traffic'd areas where the rug was lying? A tag with the apparent exact sizes on it?

The burden of proof is on the customer that it was __x__. If he has proof of the pre-cleaning size, can you tell him you'd be happy to attempt to block it out to that size? Obviously you'll know real quick if it can indeed be blocked to that size. Wet it out and carefully stretch with a power stretcher. Nail it down to a frame or board while drying, IF it did shrink.

Sounds to me the only shrink going on is the one needed for your customer.

I'll bet, like Randy says, he is just trying to pin his shitty rug on you.

Scott

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom