Remote Oil filter

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
One of the mods on my CanAm
The Kohler takes a smaller oil filter that costs around $15
With this mod I not only have easier access to the filter, but the filter is larger, more common to buy, and less than half the price. I now use a common Ford filter.
I had better hoses made up. The ones that came with the kit leaked which is why you can see oilgator all over.
This piece screws on to the engine where the filter would go
IMAGE_948.jpg

10-02-07CanAmtweaksOilfilter1.jpg

Then mount the other end for easy access to the filter.
10-02-07CanAmtweaksOilfilter.jpg

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Got something similar on my '92 Powermatic. Made filter changes a breeze. Probabaly added 1/2 quart. The one remote line also ran through the water box in a coil to cool oil and/or pre heat the water.

Name
Lee Stockwell
There are internal variations on some oil filters, including pressure relief differences. It may not be a problem, but the Kohler oil pressure doesn't run as high as a typical Ford.

Kohler may have warranty issues with this setup, although I admire the convenience factor.

Thanks,
Lee

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Lee Stockwell said:
Kohler may have warranty issues with this setup, although I admire the convenience factor.

Lee, you are being too nice. Kohler would simply declare the warranty void by using a filter with a different bypass pressure.

There may a problem, whether the bypass is too high, or even too low. Too low, and you run the risk of that filter not doing much filtering. Too high, and the engine may be running starving for oil, especially on cold startup when the bypass is designed to open straight away.

The problem is not only when that filter becomes "full", but especially during cold starting. The higher relief pressure on the valve would deny lubrication when the Kohler oil pump would be incapable of moving oil past the filter. Like Lee said, a problem may never arise if the filter is always flowing, but you are never going to know. The problem may occur only during cold starting when the filter might only be a little dirty, just when the engine needs oil flow the very most, as journals are dry. That higher bypass may be just enough to cause pretty dry warm-ups.

The remote filter idea is a really good one. But just make sure you choose a filter with compatible specifications for bypass relief. If you are looking for greater capacity, the engine manufacture will often have a model used just for that very purpose. Then, at that point look for a lesser cost alternative in a generic brand. However, it is still a good idea to inquire about pressure relief, as the aftermarket filters often coalesce bypass ranges into smaller variety offerings, that sometimes still void the manufacturer warranty because of a dangerous difference for your particular engine model. Just check the specs, make sure they are the same, and you are good to go.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have always wanted to put a remote filter on my unit, one that is for a big block chevy, that would double the oil compacity, for some dumb reason my briggs only holds 46 oz of oil and thats with the biggest filter I can find to fit, that isn't nearly enough for an engine that sees as much use and load as it does. IMO engines like mine should have had a 3qt oil compacity. onan does and I can tell you from running those engines they are significantly more durable than the briggs and kohler units of comparable hp.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ron;

I know you are in Canada,

but we sell the Kohler filter for $5.95.

There shouldn't be that much difference.

I am also concerned with leak potential in those vital pressure hoses.

Steve G. - The new Kohler 34HP engine has a 2.9 quart oil capacity.

Larry

Supersucker

Really what is it with small engines oil capacities?

I would like to find a larger filter for my Briggs, there is room without moving it for a standard size.

For you pto guys, my mechanic advised me that there is a filter for early 90's Topkick that will fit the 350 and adds a quart of capacity. That and a fumoto drain valve went on my father-in-laws Butler at the first oil change.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We've used remote filter mounts for years on our GMC engines. Since we change the oil filter every 30 days, we wanted to make it easy, and also to allow a larger filter than the GM "peanut" used as stock.
Using a more common filter type, we can get quality filters at a better price.

$6 is good price for a good oil filter, but you should have no trouble finding compatible products, as most specs are available online. The issues we've had with leaks were due to making the mistake of using a pre-made kit at first. Some of the cheaper aluminum castings are prone to cracking, and cheaper hoses have a lifespan of about three and a half years. We now buy better quality parts at Summit Racing and source better quality hoses from local suppliers.

PS: Spend a little more for a quality filter if you want to keep your engine running as long as possible. Wix, Baldwin and Purolator all make excellent filters and sell them under other brand names as well as their own. If you have to buy a Fram, make sure that it's at least the "Tough Guard" model.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I just paid $7.99 for my honda oil filter at my lawnmower store. The one they sell me is half the size of the one that came on it new from the factory. I cant find the orgiinal size any where

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
KevinD said:
Can't get any easier than this.
idd3c2.jpg
Looks like oil would go everywhere when you take the old one off. Also, I like to pre-fill my filters befor installing the new one. Doesn't look possible with that setup.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
no worries about these hoses leaking, they are built right!
The orig ones leaked at the swivels, real pain.

There's about an extra quart with the filter and the hoses.
No leaks now.
Well, if its doing any damage, probably already done. I've had that type of filter on for over a year.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
dgardner said:
KevinD said:
Can't get any easier than this.
idd3c2.jpg
Looks like oil would go everywhere when you take the old one off. Also, I like to pre-fill my filters befor installing the new one. Doesn't look possible with that setup.

With the top mounted Kohler oil filter you don't lose a drop of oil when you change the filter.
Why would you need to prefill a oil filter? The oil filter does not need any protection at start up, the engine does, which is lubricated by the oil pump.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
KevinD said:
Why would you need to prefill a oil filter? The oil filter does not need any protection at start up, the engine does, which is lubricated by the oil pump.

Kevin, in a full-flow oil filter, the oil pump draws oil out of the sump, pumps it through the filter, then on to the bearings. If you can't pre-fill the filter, there is a little time during the first startup when there is no oil pressure, until the filter fills up and purges all the air out. I was taught to pre-fill the filters whenever possible years ago. Many mechanics will tell you the same thing. It's a little thing, but may prolong the life of an engine some.

If the Kohler doesn't dump oil everywhere when you change the filter, it may empty back into the sump during shutdown, so prefilling the filter would be moot on this engine anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom