Removed blood from cotton, now I have a yellow spot.... Why?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Yea, had to q-tip and peroxide(3%) some blood drops out of a cotton chair.

The blood was gone when I left, now a month later(no big deal) I'm being told that the spot turned yellow a few days after cleaning...

So peroxide left me with a yellow ring on cotton, why and what would you do to fix it?

Thanks......

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Thanks guys.

Wouldn't the rust remover generally be for the blood/iron in the stain? Or to neutralize the peroxide(giving me the yellow ring)?

Is it possible for just a few(three) drops to wick?

I guess it has to be blood related. Misting some peroxide on thick cotton shouldn't turn it yellow, should it?

Put some rust remover on it and rinse it. Speed dry

Adam/Steve, if the rust remover needs to be rinsed, generally that means I'm cleaning/shampooing the whole front of this chair. Right?

Trying to get some photos.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
If Taco and Scott ain't good enough

Lol, :stir:

The more help the better, Marty.

You know anything about white cotton, blood and the spot turning yellow???

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Not seeing what it looks like, anything I say would only be a guess. :icon_neutral:

I suppose it's possible for a color change based on the peroxide being an acid and giving you the yellow ring. If that's truly the case I would try ammonia to correct the balance.

As far as rust that is a possibility it could be as the last thing to let go is the iron in your blood but it doesn't sound likely in this case.

The Avenge is a pretty good spotter to begin with and add in the fact that it excels on blood, its a logical first choice.

I'd go in armed with white terry towels a spotting bottle of Avenge, Ammonia (never mix with bleach), Water and a Rust spotter. Oh and a hair dryer.

Try the Avenge and if it doesn't correct your problem. If it doesn't blot some water for a rinse as you switch between products. Dab a little ammonia see if there is a difference. If not rinse and go to your rust spotter. I personally hate using rust spotter on upholstery, where body parts will make contact. Use only as much as needed to do the job and rise well. Maybe take a spray bottle with just water to aid in rinsing.

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jcooper

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Hey thanks, again guys... It's very much appreciated!

Are you sure it's cotton? Could it be rayon? Yes, to best of my knowledge it appears to be cotton.

Does it have a very smooth finish, like satin?

No, it's kinda thick. Not like satin, has slight texture to it.

Did you just work on the spot, or did you clean the entire area, and if so, how?

I just worked on the 1"x1" area w/the blood. Had maybe three drops. Used a q-tip and applied peroxide(3%). Dried as fast as I could. Client said maybe two/three days later a yellow ring appeared. Couldn't be wet days later! Didn't want to shampoo whole chair and maybe have other issues.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
That's helpful.

What other issues does the rest of the chair have?

Whether the ring is from sizing, residual blood, or cellulose material, its now concentrated in that ring and going to be a bit harder to remove.

Let me know more, and get me the pics if you can.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Jim.

A while back I watched a video i "think" you made about a white cotton cushion which had a brown mark in the fabric even though it had not been subjected to an alkaline cleaner or too much water.

In the end I believe it was just towelled out with distilled water. Could a similar approach potentially be of help here? This thread has my attention.

Grant

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Distilled water might work. That's part of why I asked the other questions to be sure first.

You work "miracles" with Distilled water depending on the nature of the stain

Reactions: GeeeAus

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom