Removing Ceramic Tile and Grout

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I need to take up an old t&g floor before installing a new laminate floor. It's on a concrete floor. Whats the best way to remove the thinset? Any tips is appreciated.

safeclean

You can use a hand held grinder sh1t load of dust though or you can hire a floor grinder instead.

Craig

TimP

Jeremy N said:
A chipping hammer and flat bar. Home depot will rent it to you.

We usually rent what I think you're talking about. You can use a pry barn and a hammer too, but mechanical is always better. It's very labor intensive. Takes about as much time to take it up as it does to lay it, if the tile is put down right.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
We remove a bunch of tile. The money that you will spend on rental will save you a ton headache.

Jamesh921

Name
James
I call what Jeremy is referring to a "Demolition Hammer". Basically, it's a miniature jack-hammer and I ABSOLUTELY AGREE that this is the tool to use.

You can spend a couple hundred (or more) bucks if you buy one of the major tool suppliers. Or, you can do what I did and buy one made by Chicogo tools for $60 bucks. I've had it for a few years now, taken up several thousand sq. ft. of tile with it, and it still works like new. You can also use it to take up VCT.

You can buy different size flat (chizel like) attachments for it. From 1" wide up to 4" I think.

fresh1

Is there a reason why you cant install the laminate on top of the tile? Getting all that thinset up is a bitch

Jamesh921

Name
James
"Is there a reason why you cant install the laminate on top of the tile?"

Probably a heighth issue. The laminate would be much higher than adjoining floors.

"Getting all that thinset up is a bitch"

It's not that hard if you use a demolition hammer. Using the right tool for the job makes life much easier.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom