Removing homemade Slime from upholstery today

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Had one yesterday that look just like that but on carpet. Several different colors scattered around the room. As I was working on whatever the stuff was it wouldn't come off scrape off easily but got very slimy while working on it

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Wow can't believe that the microfiber didn't end up coming apart with all that work,agitation ,and solvent. Nice job
Honestly... I was worried about it too...

This took me probably 30 minutes to remove. I was committed and was so up close and personal to the spot... I was watching for any moment of puckering and delamination.... And keeping my fingers crossed.

There were moments I was calling myself "stupid" to be wasting this much time... But it had me pissy and determined!

Reactions: Rick J

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Last summer I had a customer whose kids spilled a 1 gallon container of slime in their closet. She asked me if I could get it out. It had dried into a 2' diameter pancake. I told her I would try but couldn't make any promises. I threw everything I had at that crap. Gel-spotter, solvents, WD-40, Heat, steam, and swear words. Nothing was getting it out. After about 30 solid minutes I gave up. That was the first time for me giving up on slime. In the past, and since, I've always been able to work it out, but in this case, it was just too much. I told her cutting out the carpet would be a better option. It would have taken me hours to get it out. The lady was visibly upset at my godless abilities, but I wasn't going to spend all day working on that dried cow patty.

Then there is @Bob Pruitt with his grandkids videos of how to make glitter slime. Bob Bob Bob. We need to talk about this. My kids love that channel.

Last edited:

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Kids love slime. The slime videos are the most popular. If we would have invested in Elmers Glue we would all be rich.

Reactions: Nomad74

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I asked them to make a video for us on how to remove it.
My Daughter says white vinegar and they are going to make us a video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad74

Rick J

Name
rick Jones

Would you have even had a clue what it was if you weren't cleaning where someone told you what it was. ?

I've run across stuff like that(yesterday in fact) . Rock hard. Nothing touches it. I mean nothing . all the labeled products. (All protocols followed. And then some we will not admit!)
Vacant , had been a rental. But now being sold. All we can do is guess?

Carpet almost like new, just one blob in Bedroom doorway,.

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
try using a steamer, it will peal off in a chunk.
That was some that I would not admit to. Because I got pretty aggressive. Not a steamer, but a steam iron, with a towel. Whatever it was, (and still is!) did not even think about softening . I tried the iron with the mass flooded with just heavy preconditioner, then with various solvent spotters. Poking, picking, scraping the whole time.
I clipped a bit of it off of the top of the mass. Am looking at it now. Completely Hard. No chance of softening it up . . Had run up against similar unknowns in the past , but had never known of the homemade Slime.

Last edited:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Would you have even had a clue what it was if you weren't cleaning where someone told you what it was. ?

I've run across stuff like that(yesterday in fact) . Rock hard. Nothing touches it. I mean nothing . all the labeled products. (All protocols followed. And then some we will not admit!)
Vacant , had been a rental. But now being sold. All we can do is guess?

Carpet almost like new, just one blob in Bedroom doorway,.
Actually no one was home and I am guessing it was homemade Slime... But seemed like logical thought here...

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Did you peek through the window to be sure?

• Haha

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
You donā€™t need a solvent to remove slime. I rinse it out with just hot water and time. Elmerā€™s is a water based glue which dissolves in water. Itā€™s very time consuming and of course if in a carpet the agitation of the hoss is faster than the zipper. Sometimes the dye is left behind.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
You donā€™t need a solvent to remove slime. I rinse it out with just hot water and time. Elmerā€™s is a water based glue which dissolves in water. Itā€™s very time consuming and of course if in a carpet the agitation of the hoss is faster than the zipper. Sometimes the dye is left behind.
I sure wish that rinsing it out would have been true here.... This spot still took me over 30 minutes.... It would not soften at all with water and or steam.

Don't know what was maybe different about it but it sucked!

Reactions: Rick J

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom