Removing secondary backing

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Grafting: I find with some carpet the jute backing is very difficult to remove from a donor piece without pulling the yarn through (loop pile wool with jute backing are all I've been practising on). Is there a trick to it or do you just perservere with a knife.shears to get it off? (takes ages). I tried steaming it with slightly better results.
There's no problem actually removing the fibre at the replacement site, I'm just talking about the donor piece.

Stevea

Excellent point from John. You may find it will help if you also pull it across the construction rather than with the direction of construction. In other words, when you are pulling it along the backing, rather than straight up, it also seems to help if you pull it across the direction of manufacture. If you pull it the way the carpet is tufted it is easier for the tufts to pull out verses pulling in across the width.

I hope that make some sense.

SA

Cousin

And on some of the real heavy weight/high quality cloths, where latex penetration (between yarn and secondary) are very high, it can sometimes help to 'wet' the secondary and let it stand for 10 mins.

Most latex these days is full of filler, and will loosen quite quickly when wet.

The majority of our carpet (down here!!) has jute secondary, and this works well on the heavy weights.

But it will work equally well on the poly secondaries, as most latex used on this construction has some degree of surfactant to help with adhesion between poly primary and secondary.

So a bit of water, and the surfactant helps absorb the moisture into the latex, helping to loosen the bond.

Then pull them apart.

M

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
That's something I'll try today. I am still having trouble with some samples that I've given up on. The hard ones seem to be the new offcuts I've been practising on.

Thanks Cuzz!

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
That is what we call Delamination. Installers wet the carpet to make it softer (More Pliable) in the meantime also delaminates. However in grafting re-applying an adhesive is really not delaminating but adding to. But I see where it should not cause harm.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
A word of caution, I'm not sure I'd want a wet or damp piece for an insert...

Fair enough if you have the product already and can remove it at leaisure prior and then dry before you need to w
ork it.

I'm NOT speaking from experience, just thinking.

John

Cousin

And you're right to point that out, John.

Some times I assume things, and maybe even leave bits out :oops:

Just enough water to dampen the secondary. And if the water does get into the rest of the carpet, it must be dry before proceeding.

M

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom