Removing wax from a sofa.

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
I have a customer that wants some candle wax removed from a microfiber sofa. Should I be worried about damaging some of the fiber? Would a citrus gel work? Or should I heat up the wax?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Open hose and boiling water used very judiciously. Try and break off as much as you can first. Be aware that you might end up with some dye transfer if the candle was coloured.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
One a white colored wax,you should do as above.

One a red or darker dyed piece.I would make a template out of aluminum and freeze dry it...

Lay the aluminum over then litely trace out the spot under-neath.

Trim it away so the wax stciks out the template...

Freeze spray it,remove template and crinkle it off...

Repeat as needed...When you clean you can actually miss the wax.For time is morei n your favor.As they use there sofa,it will come off more and more.Till just a bit is left.Just advise them if you see it flake off,remove it from the sofa areas. No need to respread.

If on a cushion area ,that is accessible through a zipper .You can pour boiling water on the inner side(side never used)to a vacuum tool on the outside.

Pour and pour till as much is gone.Then if need be use a dye remover for remaining dye left on fabric...

But remember microfiber is very heat sensitive so use of an iron.Would only be utilized by the most skillfull here.You would have to wet surrounding areas well.The transfer off. Using tip of iron only...

Best of luck...Caes-08...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I understand the problems that can occur with candle dies

but his profile says he runs a PC 405.

I "thought" those TMs made more than "luke warm" temps.
gently scrap off the excess wax and the rest should melt and flush away using an upl tool.

am i missing sump'um??

..L.T.A.

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
Thanks for all the info guys. Some of that stuff sounds little tricky.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
EZest method:

Freeze it with an aerosol and break off as much as possible. Get this from Zep, or a hardware store, or Radio Shack if your supplier doesn't carry it. Use solvent, vacuum and hot water to remove the remainder. Don't use extremely hot water on microfiber upholstery or you'll risk screwing up the nap.

Never thought of using it for this: http://www.amazon.com/Poop-Freeze-Aerosol-Spray/dp/B000CMKPDI

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Some cautions!!

Most candles are paraffin wax which is petroleum based. Micro-fiber has an affinity for petroleum or oil based stains. Even tho the wax removed, the spot may always appear darker when dry.

Be careful the fabric fibers may pull out if the wax is hard or if you work on it too aggressively.

Some micro-fibers are flocked or glued to a backing materials. The use of a solvent will unglue the fibers leaving a bare spot.

Warn the customer/ have them sign a waiver.

Remember It's their spot not yours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom