Repair options?

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hey guys,

what do you make of this?

We actually handled the water damage restoration claim, but the client had ripped up the carpet (literally) before we got there. We actually relaid nthe carpet but left this at the adjusters request.

However, when the vinyl layers came in, they saw it and decided to try and score brownie points and 'did the repair for you'.

Now the adjuster has come back and asked if we can do anything at all?

It is on a join, the primary has been yanked hard enough that some of the tufts are trapped underneath the primary backing.

There are NO offcuts, the carpet if fairly faded and the only possibility of a repair is to get a close match, install that in a wardrobe and then see if I can use the 'as new' wardrobe carpet to repair this faded section.

Any suggestions?

Meha002.jpg

Meha004.jpg

Meha006.jpg

John

breezeman

How about graphing in where the tufts are missing. If, you need extra carpet a possible stretch in closet.Cut primary from repair leave secondary backing, remove secondary from xtra carpet cut to fit and hot glue repair. It may be hard since it is next to a seam. We use it for bleach spots that are small or unravled loop carpet.
Deron

Cousin

Open the join, trim both sides back half inch or so? (depends on the width of damage), re join and power stretch to the opposite wall.

This is the simplified version, John.

Success all depends on the size of the room(s), how flexible (or not) the backing is, and a gentle touch with the power stretcher.

M

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Unfortunately, this carpet has already been re stretched.

These clients are 'high maintenance' to put it nicely.

When the loss happened, they uplifted the carpet, caused this damage and removed the underlay. Left it like that from Friday till Monday and called us.

By the time we attended, shrinkage had already taken place and was short up to an 1" both directions.

So potentially re stretching another inch out is not on the cards.

At this stage, I'm not 100% on grafts yet Deron, so I'm thinking maybe a bonded insert but the differences from the wardrobe to the lounge room will be significant in both fade and wear... not that that's stopped me trying in the past 8)

John

safeclean

John I would go with your first thought replace the cupboard with something the same and use the original to bond insert with.

Craig

timlakeman

I agree with Craig, John. You could also try putting the donor piece out in direct sunlight for a couple of days first to advance fading. It can help here on the Gold Coast (don't know about NZ though:lol: ).

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Well the adjuster gave me a go ahead for this repair.

I found a close match (visually) and bought a small quantity of that and fitted that into the inside corner of the spare bedroom wardrobe (closet for you guys?)

This is the damage again.
IMG_4434.jpg

I then cut out the offending piece.
IMG_4435.jpg

This is the whole piece from the wardrobe. The nearest side I've started adjusting the colour.
IMG_4436.jpg

This is the piece inserted and while it doesn't look like it, it is the adjusted colour piece from the previous photo.
IMG_4437.jpg

Final photo and the best I can get the colour adjustment.
IMG_4438.jpg

So, my question for the likes of Tony is, what more could I have done with crayons? I was using greys (darker to lighter) and finished up with a touch of white to lighten it up a little.

The client actually accepted this much to my shock but really, standing back it isn't as obvious.

John

harryhides

Name
Tony
Good job John !

Looks to me like your final grey color needed a touch of pink to match it up a tad better. If this area was exposed to any amount of light or worse, direct sunlight then you know that the first color to fade will be the red component - ie the surrounding area has less red than your donor piece. Best way to reduce "red" component in your donor piece would be to add some green - see below.

Also the surrounding carpet is likely to have some added "yellow" ie soil.
Adding a hint of yellow ( most common color of dirt ) to your donor piece might also have helped and would have given you a slightly "greener" grey.

Hope that helps.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Thanks Tony.

A couple of things... 2 feet to the left of the repair, is the main door facing north-east and HEAPS of direct sunlight hence the significant fading that has already taken place.

Secondly, the carpet was freshly cleaned not long ago following the final reconstruction works.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom