Repairing rotomolding?

Name
Nate W.
I have a Cimex and found 2 cracks in the tank. Both are at the bottom of the tank. Looks like it was that way when I bought it, because of the goop like product residue around the on/off valve. One of the cracks is where the on/off valve is, and the other one is where that little pin on the bottom to hold the tank to the machine.

Can rotomolding be repaired? If so, how?

I was thinking of drilling the hole of the tank, then cut off the mount pin and drill that also. Use a stainless steel bolt with a rubber washer on the top and bottom, then screw the nut on and use the compression to seal it. I run the risk of it not working and be up sh!ts creek..... :lol:

I have a email sent to excellentsupply to find out how much a replacement tank costs.

Greenie

Have you hit it with a propane hand torch, might do the trick. Be very cautious and patient needless to say, you just need to soften it so it will meld, then cool it.

Name
Nate W.
Greenie said:
Have you hit it with a propane hand torch, might do the trick. Be very cautious and patient needless to say, you just need to soften it so it will meld, then cool it.

I'm probably the most impatient person when it comes to stuff like that. Must be the reason I don't cook too, I tend to burn sh!t.... :lol:

I'll do what you said and report back, thanks. :D

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Rotomolded tanks are polyethylene. Google "polyethylene welding" there is a bunch of info out there. Traditional repair is done with hot air welders. Even Harbor Freight has a cheap hot-air plastic welder, and you can buy polyethylene welding rod too. If you're the impatient type, replacement might be the way to go though...

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Drill a small hole at the end of any crack to stop it spreading further. Go to a panelbeater or anyone that repairs car bumpers ; they do plastic welding.
roro

Name
Nate W.
Alright, so I heated it up last night and it worked pretty good for the hairline crack. That little mounting nub where the tank has to sit, there's still a little bigger gap in the crack. I need a small torch to be able to get inside the tank to heat it. I tried a lighter but wasn't sucessful. I'll work at it. :D

Greenie

run down to your corner liquor store and ask for a crack pipe lighter (batu is local) they will hook you up with the little super powered butane lighter.

yes, working security teaches you some of the dark side.

Name
Nate W.
Greenie said:
run down to your corner liquor store and ask for a crack pipe lighter (batu is local) they will hook you up with the little super powered butane lighter.

yes, working security teaches you some of the dark side.

Wow, You did spend some time in Hawaii...... :lol:

So I go into a liquor store and ask for a batu lighter to smoke some batu? I got it. :twisted:

Jimbo

"Must be the reason I don't cook too, I tend to burn sh!t."

No wonder you have a cute girlfriend...she MUST BE a Good Cook!

Name
Nate W.
Jimbo said:
"Must be the reason I don't cook too, I tend to burn sh!t."

No wonder you have a cute girlfriend...she MUST BE a Good Cook!

Nah........ I'm a very picky eater. We spend more money eating out than we save. :shock:

Ron K

A food torch might work too. The kind they use for burning/melting sugars on desserts... probably more control then a crack pipe lighter... especially if it's after the crack.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom