Replacing coupler plugs on a 421 boxxer

Chris A

Name
Chris
Anyone have step-by-step instructions on this? Machine is a 2007, thanks!

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Take it to the shop........seriously something's are easier to let the pro's do it....why your customers call you instead of using a rug doctor and doing it themselves.....

Chris A

Name
Chris
2 1/2 hour drive, so a whole day wasted if I take it in... this is my back up/2nd rig so time is not of the essence...

Name
Lee Stockwell
Remove a large snap ring and loosen a few bolts...that may be loose already. Hydramaster has had lots of problems with this coupler. The owners manual lists the 8 plugs as part of the spare parts you should keep on the truck.

All direct couplers have to be precisely aligned.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Thanks Lee, I ordered the plugs last night, should have them tomorrow and I'll tear into it. Can't be all that difficult...

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Ahhhh ok :) not rocket science but as lee said it has to be straight. Good enough doesn't work :) it will be more of pain in the butt then anything. We just jerk the machine and do it on the floor. Takes less time time doing it in the van, at least on the ones that come in. I think it takes my guys 1.5 hours total to rip and replace.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
LOL and this is why I always have people talk to the shop instead of me. My guy looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him how log it took him. I had it backwards on the time/and procedure :) They rip it out to flush the heat exchanger which takes them 1.5 hours in and out not the plugs :)

benjam99

If you just need to replace the plugs.. there are no bolts to r/r. The snap ring just holds in a retaining ring which holds in the plugs. The only tools that I've needed are a flat blade screwdriver to release the snap ring, and possibly a hook to remove the plugs.

On my machine the only problem with doing this repair in the field is hot exhaust/hx parts. I have the same coupler-different machine.

Good advice to keep a set of the plugs on hand... that said they work well and seem to last a long time. also not normally necessary to move the coupler on the engine's shaft. easy repair.

Chris A

Name
Chris

Get back in the office pops and let the real pros take care of bidness shiteatinggrin

Chris A

Name
Chris
I did them myself, the snap ring was the biggest pain in the ass, a quick call to Jim Bane at Pembertons had that figured out, all in all, 20 minutes...

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Chris Adkins said:
[quote="John Olson":1lylu5bi]LOL and this is why I always have people talk to the shop instead of me. My guy looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him how log it took him. I had it backwards on the time/and procedure :) They rip it out to flush the heat exchanger which takes them 1.5 hours in and out not the plugs :)

Get back in the office pops and let the real pros take care of bidness shiteatinggrin[/quote:1lylu5bi]

Pops? :shock: thathurts
:mrgreen: good thing I have young studs in the shop who know what they are doing even if I don't !gotcha!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom