Replacing head gasket on Briggs

hogjowl

Idiot™
Man... my brand new Briggs 18 has blown a head gasket. I'm booked solid and my local repair dude will take a week to replace it. I need to do it myself and get it done so I can work. Anybody done this before?

Is it just a matter of getting the head off, putting on a new gasket and putting it all back together again, or is there something else I need to be concerned with?

PS The O ring jokes are funny, but I need help here in a serious way.

Chads

Supportive Member
just go at it keep it clean. and clean all surfaces before new gasket goes on and pay attention to torque the bolts. also not to sure of the small engines but remeber how many turns there were on like valves if you have to take them off. should be pretty easy and heck you got the internet to help you with this process. and just ask your small engine repair guy how to do it, he probally will help you if not find a new guy.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Leave the motor in and let them do it on the truck.

Must be all that 2.5 vac hose causing too much vacuum dragging down the motor.

I told ya NOT to listen to all the internet supposed "GuRus".

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Well he should be done with it by now. It's a pretty simple job if you can turn a wrench or two.
I can change head gaskets on my onans in about twenty minutes with an air ratchet.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
I would suggest getting a gasket kit for the motor and replace them all. When you start taking them off there is a chance some won't come off too well.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
If you plan on doing this for sure, get the manual. If you don't want to I will check my stock of Briggs books tomorrow when I get to work and fax those pages if you want. Just get me the specs on the motor and model, type and code if you can.

Rex Tyus

You know most places that sell small engine parts also sells REPAIR MANUALS. Holy shit how long can this drag on? It is a freaking lawn mower engine.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Listen, if my asking questions bothers you, scroll on by this thread. OK?

I was forthcoming enough to admitt I didn't know anything about this, but the only way I can learn is to ask questions.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
My local Briggs shop doesn't stock shit, not even manuals. That's why we became a Briggs distributor. Now I have full access to everything they sell.

Rex Tyus

I have to click on it to get that colored bubble off my screen.

I am just razzin on ya anyway you over sensitive old coot.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
It's not too difficult to do you just need all of the torque specs. If you've had two motors do this and one is brand new you have other issues going on.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
It's really not that hard. But shouldn't your engine be covered under warrenty?

Rotate each cylinder to top dead center. Use a straw inserted through the spark plug hole to feel when the piston is coming up. When the intake valve opens and then closes as you rotate the crank you are on the compression stroke. Keep rotating until the piston is at the top of the cylinder.

Check to make sure, but normally the specs say to adjust both valve clearances to .004-.006 inches.
While holding the adjustment screw, tighten the lock nut to 60 inch pounds. Rotate the engine a few times and re-check clearance. Complete the same procedure for the other cylinder. Then go have a beer!

T

The Magician

Take it to your dist during the slow seaon. A little tricky if you never did it before. Watch your dist and the next you know how to do it. They need ajusted round 1000 hrs but check your manuel.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I won't do briggs and i live in Wisconsin!

The only reason i didn't go with hydra master is because of briggs, I don't like their engines

That being said i would go after all the warrenty work possible.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Honesty I use to like to work on equipment, but I just don't have the patience for it any more. I even spent 3-days at a TM repair class at Prochem when they were in Chandler.

I don't have the right tools either, mine are just cheap crap.

Getting dirty doesn't bother me, I just hate busting my knuckles on bolts that don't come out. Make sure you have liquid wrench and a cheater bar!

I'd probably over torque the head and warp it for you.
Oops guess your nugget is already warped! :p

Good luck Porkchop!

harryhides

Name
Tony
What's that definition of insanity ?
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Clearly there's something wrong with your set up and yet another gasket is gonna blow, sooner or later.

Sorry, I can't help you with any technical advice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom