Replacing seals on Roots Blower

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I'm pretty good with a wrench(was a auto mechanic before this gig) but I've never been inside one of these blowers. I've got an old RAI 45 that works well but has been leaking gear oil for years. I'm cleaning up and repainting this back-up unit and would like to fix this leak. I've got the manuals & drawings but was wondering if anyone has done this and could give any tips. I know timing is critical.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
It's not the gasket, replaced that long time ago to no benefit. It has leaked since the day I purchaced this blower. I believe it is a defective seal or improper install at factory. Once it was put in service I found it and never bothered to repair it.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Whers does an RAI 45 blower leak from if not from the rear cover? Is there any other seal? Is it leaking internally?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Doug Cox said:
Whers does an RAI 45 blower leak from if not from the rear cover? Is there any other seal? Is it leaking internally?
There is a seal on the inside of each gear. When they leak the oil will drain out through the openings in the casing.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Shane is it leaking gear dope or grease?

The grease side is an easy fix, you may have to pull the gear side cover though. Did bearings and seals on the grease side of a 59, once you put the cover back on the gears in the back may bind up. Pull gear cover and lightly tap until lobes spin and the seal it up.

Call if I can help

423-802-0657 on easter time

Later

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
SouthernSteamer said:
Shane is it leaking gear dope or grease?

The grease side is an easy fix, you may have to pull the gear side cover though. Did bearings and seals on the grease side of a 59, once you put the cover back on the gears in the back may bind up. Pull gear cover and lightly tap until lobes spin and the seal it up.

Call if I can help

423-802-0657 on easter time

Later

It is leaking on the gear end. In order to remove seals on this side it requires removing the cover and gears. The manual says a special gear puller is needed. I wondering if there is an alternative.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Shane I would call Les Judson but everyone has told me to not pull gears. Something with retiming issues.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I had a seal go out on my 5m and spoke to tech at Tampa Armature. He told me it was 1500 to fix. I bought a new one for 1900. It seems you need special tools for just about everything on a blower. I was told at 5m and below they are considered disposable. It is still running strong but I have a backup if it ever goes out.

Gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom