Replacing the lower E-3

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
On mine...( 2004..6008 ) the lower E-3 was wrapped in isolation and had a plastic cover sealed around it to help hold the heat...but it did not allow it to breath and in time it started to rust....The out side bracket rusted and snapped off and it bounced on the frame and in time it started throwing out therm oil every time I started it up...

100_4060-1.jpg

100_4062-2.jpg

100_4069-1.jpg

100_4071-1.jpg

100_4073-1.jpg

This is easy to change..just drain all the therm oil out and disconnect all the hoses...there is only 2 brackets that hold it on the truck and the tail piece that goes down to the exhaust diverter

100_4063.jpg

The new E-3 comes with a heat shield cover that allows it to breath more but still helps holds in the heat

100_4055-1.jpg

100_4058-1.jpg

Slide it back under the truck and hook the 2 brackets back up and all the hoses and refill..

100_4077-1.jpg

100_4076-1.jpg

The gasket that goes between the goes between the tail piece and the E-3 breaks easy so you have to be extremely careful when you put it into place...

I would also recommend that if you have the hard plastic cover with the isolation around your lower E-3
to cut it off and get the heat shield wrap for it before it rust out...

Greenie

I just remembered this from the First time Jim posted this, the Replacement HX has more "ports" for Xentherm lines, other than input and output, and maybe a releif, what do you use the others for? Just plug em? Why are they there?

Mikey P

Administrator
100_4058-1.jpg

On the left you have a breather port (for draining) the drain and the oil OUT.

On the right you have the oil IN and the exhaust hook up.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
..no extra one..the 2 on the sides are in and out and the one on the top is a vent and the one on the bottom is the drain...no extra,....

Greenie

How about a pic of the old HX so my question has some balance?

I could have sworn the old one had less ports?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the only old one I have is the one up top and it is the exact same as the new one....

I think you have this confused with something else because there are no extra ports on the new one....

Greenie

gotcha.
I think the new one just has longer threaded couplings welded to it.

Ever wonder why it needed a vent ?

Since the Xentherm fills the upper HX and the lower, wouldn't you have to "vent" the upper anyways to get the fluid to drain all the way? I would think you would want the vent from the highest point?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the vent plug on the lower e-3 is for when you are replacing the oil..if you heat it up a bit and then pull the vent plug it will burp it and cause it to drain faster.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom