Reseal old style Devastator?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Today I was cleaning out my Devastator and noticed the sealer or glue flaking off a little in the area you see in this pic. It did seem like I was actually loosing suction a little lately when I use the D as opposed to without. I wonder if this is the problem? Has anyone else noticed this? I still love the Devastator but seems like it may require an occasional resealing. What should I use? I have the old style, smaller Devastator, if that matters.

ude7u2y9.jpg

The Clean Machine of Iowa
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
If its leaking air you should be able to hear it. I use black polyurethane in a caulk tube to make seals. I cover it with wax paper which wears off. Lasts almost forever, the stuff is crazy durable.

Gene

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I can hear a very slight leak but it's so close to my TM it's been hard to tell. There is a little leaking through the flash cuff but not a huge deal.

I eat, sleep, and breath this stuff. Sometimes I make something out of nothing and worry needlessly. I'll look a bit closer tomorrow but will probably seal that area up again.

My Cleanco has those beefy metal cage type filters in the waste tank (easily accessible). I was considering running without the D for a while to see what I like better.

The Clean Machine of Iowa
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Marine grade glue. Goop would work fine. And the devastator is going to work much better then the intake filter IMO. More area for continued airflow as it fills up and added bonus it's easier to clean out and get to as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I tried the goop years ago but under pressure even when it seems dry it bonds. I had to use a pry bar to get the top off. I didn't use the wax paper trick back then. It's not as easy to apply neatly and poly. The caulk tube allows you to lay out a even and neat line.
Either way don't forget the was paper.
Gene

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Russ,
The stuff that you see should have nothing to do with seal,I used it to set the part in place, there is a rubber gasket sandwiched in between the ring and back plate that makes the seal. Just give the nuts a LITTLE turn on the back plate not much the gasket has settled so this should fix it. You just need to turn just a little bit to get the seal if it is leaking,don't over do it because you will compress gasket more than need be, as you tighten the gasket gets pushed harder to the outer housing so you don't need to much pressure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom