Restoration question Frieze

jgasaway

I have only been at this about a year and things are going well. One question: I ran across a house that has a really light frieze carpet and has a couple traffic areas and in front of their couch that is extremely dirty. It looked dark when I left, but lightened quite a bit the next day after drying, but is still noticeable. Next step would be what? I have not done any restoration work or have a rotory yet, but maybe that is the next purchase? However, would a rotary on frieze carpet be overkill or bad for the pile? Need some advice. Used my TM, a Matrix tlc and my rinse surfactant at 3gpm. Dried for 15 before leaving. Looked good to me, but you know how those customers are that have NEVER cleaned their carpets and expect miracles. Need some help as I always take care of my customers until they are happy..(at least the ones I want to keep, and this one pays well so help!) :)

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I had been using a carpet brush for agitation, recently I bought a host CRB machine on ebay, it was under $300 bucks shipped to my house. its a pretty handy machine, its small and portable for use when there is a hallway, in front of the couch or other area that is bad but the rest of the house isn't trashed. which BTW is what I see on most jobs.

on certain carpets using the CRB machine makes a ton of difference, it works really well on polyester friezes or nylon, The CRB machine seems to work best on longer pile carpets, it doesn't make as much difference on plush cut pile carpets. I have been experimenting and seeing which carpets it works best on, and have been pulling it out on most of my jobs lately. I have also found it doesn't really help on berbers.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
This might be a good carpet for a rotary demo. One of the prime reasons a rotary extractor works so well on a dirty traffic area is the combination of extra agitation and heat build-up under the head. You won't hurt the carpet, but pile distortion from wear may be more visible after getting the dirt out.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
A rotary extractor might have been beneficial but your chemistry was lacking a little as well. Instead of the Matrix TLC. Give their Grand Slam a shot. And on for really bad areas, boost with either an oxidizer, citrus force ASD or both.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Most friezes are not very dense and the backing might be soiled also. It also blossoms which doesn't help matters.

Jamesh921

Name
James
All the above is great advice. But you also my be encountering an abraded carpet. Once the carpet has been abraded, there is very little you can do to make the carpet look better. It simply will not reflect the light as well as unabraded carpet, so that area will never look as good as the rest of the carpet. All you can do is try the advice above. If that doesn't work, nothing will.

Good luck

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
This is also carpet that has an affinity for oily soils and can grey permanently in the traffic lanes.

Name
R.J. Povio
I would bet that this is a polyester frieze! I am thinking that the wear patterns are unlikely to be reversed or able to be made not noticeable. We have had that problem numerous times in hallways and infront of furniture. I actually had a polyester frieze carpet replaced 8 months after install due to premature wear in traffic areas. I cleaned the carpet and the custys thought that the carpet still looked dirty after the cleaning. The carpet they had before was a 10-12 year old nylon plush and never had the wear that this 8 month old frieze polyester had. I have cleaned nylon frieze with much greater success.

Recommend to your custys to replace with 100% nylon and or with berber, you can go wrong with those 2 types of carpet!

And just because your new to the biz doesnt mean your having an uncommon problem. This is a common problem. You are just learning.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Contemporary Carpet Clean said:
I would bet that this is a polyester frieze! I am thinking that the wear patterns are unlikely to be reversed or able to be made not noticeable. We have had that problem numerous times in hallways and infront of furniture. I actually had a polyester frieze carpet replaced 8 months after install due to premature wear in traffic areas. I cleaned the carpet and the custys thought that the carpet still looked dirty after the cleaning. The carpet they had before was a 10-12 year old nylon plush and never had the wear that this 8 month old frieze polyester had. I have cleaned nylon frieze with much greater success.

Recommend to your custys to replace with 100% nylon and or with berber, you can go wrong with those 2 types of carpet!

And just because your new to the biz doesnt mean your having an uncommon problem. This is a common problem. You are just learning.

I agree with this post and jamesh921 post. This is shit carpet, and once worn, (which can be just a short period of time), Not even the Masters on this board can clean it without it still looking nasty in the wear areas. You almost have to show the custy the fiber wear with a magnifying glass to prove your point.

tim

you could step up the chemistry to some stronger stuff, allow more dwell time, add aggitation, (I would suggest a crb) but more than likely its fiber distortion, fiber now does not reflect light as well as the undamaged yarns and appears grey. You can clean but you cant reverse the damage,

John Buxton

I've been trying to clean a "smartstrand" frieze the carpet rep oversold the customer on. The Mohawk rep I have emailed is either an idiot or just trying to get rid of me. One thing to look out for is an asphalt driveway. Poly's even poly on steroids (smartstrand) don't like those.

I did use a Rotovac, Prochem Olefin preclean mixed strong with agitation and got some improvement but not much. The mills come up with this crap because they make more money on them and they're trying to make more affordable goods. No wonder people are pulling carpet out and replacing with hard goods.

tim

If its oils, boost with Energy from CTI, definitely helps. I use it for heavy dog oils, treadmill areas, olefin etc. It works when nothing else will.doesnt smell great but not nearly as bad as some would have you beleive

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom